Types of grip for BL Curls and German Hang Curls

Started by B1214N, December 14, 2013 · 10 Replies · 3,762 Views

B1214N

Does anyone know if a false grip or at least a flexed wrist grip is required in order to do a full ROM German hang curl or BL curl? 

Guest

I doubt it. Harder, but still doable.

Jon Douglas
Awarenesss said:

I doubt it. Harder, but still doable.

I'm inclined to agree with this

B1214N

Probably much harder though as it would be quite hard to slide the hands over from a hanging grip (neutral wrists) based on my past experience with slow no-FG MUs vs. slow false grip MUs (the difference in difficulty is very high). I don't think I've ever seen a German hang curl or BL curl done starting from a normal unflexed hanging grip. The following video tutorial said that a false grip is required for the wide grip variation and less of a false grip for the narrow width variation at 3:46 - 4:04.

Mats Trane

Your shoulders better be well prepared before getting in these moves.

B1214N

My shoulders are fine. I can almost do full ROM on the German hang curls. I think I'm gonna train some false grip in the German hang and BL to see how much it will help.

Alex Chubb

I just was recently able to do the full negative on the German hang curls. I couldn't even try to go back up without a false grip.

Joshua Slocum

False grip will increase your leverage making it easier.

B1214N
Alex Chubb said:

I just was recently able to do the full negative on the German hang curls. I couldn't even try to go back up without a false grip.

Did you use a false grip on the negatives and were you doing the wide grip one or the narrow grip one?

 

I've also never seen an inverted curl/inverted MU done without a false grip as well, though I suppose someone very very strong at it has done so before.

B1214N
Awarenesss said:

Around the 16 second mark, overhand grip: http://youtu.be/f8ir_QE3LKQ?t=14s

I've seen it done with overhand grip before too. The guy you showed has straps to tie his hands to the bar and he has to swing to rotate his hands to a support grip at the end.