This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My H1 Journey

Started by Nash, December 14, 2013 · 27 Replies · 1,387 Views

Nash

Hi Guys,

 

I signed up for H1 on April 28, 2013. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and that this amazing community existed. F1/H1 is now my sole exercise. Plus 3 mile walks sometimes.

 

I'm started a personal log here to keep track of my progress. I'll probably update it monthly or quarterly.

 

Feel free to critique! I take it all constructively.

 

Progress as of today:

 

Wrists:

 

WP/PE3: Week 5 on all 4.

FKP/PE4

WR/PE4

FP/PE3

 

After rewatching the athlete's videos, I realized that my shoulders are too far forward in some of the movements (WP). I should scale them back a bit.

 

Warmup:

 

Standing Overgrip Dislocate: 10 reps. 10lb bar. Shoulder + 2.

Standing Undergrip Dislocate: 10 reps. 4lb bar. Shoulder + 2.

Prone Overgrip Dislocate: 5 reps. 9lb bar. Shoulder + 1.

Prone Undergrip Dislocate: 5 reps. 9lb bar. Shoulder + 2.

 

Handstand:

 

PE9: Week 9.

 

Chest is touching, but thighs not 100% because I keep my legs locked at the knees. It feels like I'll have to bend my knees a few degrees in order for my upper thighs to touch the wall.

 

Another way is to perform a PPT so the thighs touch, but it feels like overkill.

 

Overall feeling is great. 48 seconds don't seem too difficult. Looking forward to 4x60. I think.

 

But the greatest achievement for me is my current ability to open my shoulders. Something I had no conception of before GST. At around 00:02-00:05 in the video you can see it happening.

 

PE9 Video:

 

 

Writs Video:

 

Keilani Gutierrez

#thumbsup

Micawberian

Wow, man, you were so still in that PE9 I had to wonder if it was just a picture for a few seconds :D Nice work!

Nash

Thanks man. That's mostly because of repeating pe7 a few times to get rid of shaking. Also pe8 adds tons of strength.

thecolin

Nice work. Just one thing I noticed is that on the fingertip push ups you lean a lot towards the non working arm, taking the weight off the working hand.

Boris Mikael Taube

good work man:) 

Coach Sommer

Nicely done.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nash

Thank you Coach!

ausswe

I can't believe I have been doing the wrist and finger push-ups wrong is whole time...... On the bright side I am now much further a long than I originally thought. I was doing left side up then right side up then left side down right side down as one rep... Where as you did them left up and down right up and down separately....

IcedDante

Did you have any problems getting through PE2 IM?

Nash
IcedDante said:

Did you have any problems getting through PE2 IM?

Not really. The iM I had issues with was PE6 > iM. It took some work to make it through that one.

 

 

-Nash

Low

Inspiring progress, great dedication Nash !

I'm curious about the "shaking" because i experienced the same thing on PE7. How many times do you repeat PE7 before moving onto PE8 without shaking ? Do you experience the same thing on PE9 due to a bigger hold time ?

Nash

Thanks Low!

 

> How many times do you repeat PE7 before moving onto PE8 without shaking ? 

 

I repeated block 3 (weeks 9-12) 2 times. At the end, there was very minimal shaking that couldn't be seen on camera. Part of it was due to my head shaking. Also, I was limiting my rest to 3 minutes max. I could've probably taken longer rest times to avoid shaking and saved myself a couple of months.

 

> Do you experience the same thing on PE9 due to a bigger hold time ?

 

Nope. PE9 was very smooth and I attribute that to PE8, mostly. Wall runs are freaking hard and they'll make your shoulder very strong.

 

My advice is if there's minimal shaking (nothing crazy) and you are able to do mastery, move on to PE8. You'll be able to iron out all the shaking in PE9 because you'll be stronger at that point.

 

 

-Nash

Low

Thanks for your quick answer Nash !

 

I've just realized the difference in terms of difficulty between doing this on a hard floor (yesterday) and on a soft surface (last week) : it's much easier now on a hard floor, and maybe the soft mat was one of the reason of my shaking arms, PE8 feel much easier/stable too because of a more stable surface, so i can't wait to try PE9 in a few weeks on a hard floor instead of the mat.

Nash
Low said:

Thanks for your quick answer Nash !

 

I've just realized the difference in terms of difficulty between doing this on a hard floor (yesterday) and on a soft surface (last week) : it's much easier now on a hard floor, and maybe the soft mat was one of the reason of my shaking arms, PE8 feel much easier/stable too because of a more stable surface, so i can't wait to try PE9 in a few weeks on a hard floor instead of the mat.

 

No doubt. A soft surface will increase wrist fatigue.

Nash

Progress as of today:

Wrists:

WP/PE4: Week 11 on all 4.

FKP/SE4

WR/SE4

FTP/PE4

WPs went from very difficult to easy. It happened around week 5 out of the blue. I simply stopped struggling and am able to keep arms locked out.

FTPs I'm not too confident about. I'll find out when at the SEs.

Warmup:

Standing Overgrip Dislocate: 10 reps. 12lb bar @ Shoulder.

Standing Undergrip Dislocate: 10 reps. 10lb bar @ Shoulder + 2.

Handstand:

PE10: Week 12.

Holllly crap. This one kicked my butt and took its sweet time. When I first started I simply couldn't do more than 30 and it felt like it would never happen. So I started going up 3 reps at a time and things took off around 4x46.

Moving on to PE11 next week. Woohoo!

Wrists:

HS:

emilianop

That's great Nash, well done!

 

Stupid question here: in your video you do 30+30 taps, is that a "set of 30" or a "set of 60" in the H1 program?

Basically what I'm asking is: when you see 5x30r in the program, you're doing 30+30 actually, correct?

Nash

Thanks! Your question made my heart stop! But I did a search and it looks like each touch is a rep. So 30/30 is 60. I hope that's thethe case.

Keilani Gutierrez

one touch of your shoulders = one rep. 

 

breath easy :P

emilianop
Nash said:

Thanks! Your question made my heart stop! But I did a search and it looks like each touch is a rep. So 30/30 is 60. I hope that's thethe case.

ahahah!

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you! :D

 

I was wondering because there's cases where the amount of reps are odd (it says 5x9r or 5x15r) so I thought it was 2 taps (left+right) counting as one rep.

emilianop

Sorry to pollute your thread with questions, are we saying the guy in the video for HS/PE8 is showing a set of 10r?

 

Does HS Wall Run follow the same rule as Wall HS with regards to hands positioning (i.e. do they have to be within 6/12" of the wall)?

Looking at the video for PE10 they seem further away, but might be just an impression...

Micawberian
maolu said:

Sorry to pollute your thread with questions, are we saying the guy in the video for HS/PE8 is showing a set of 10r?

 

Does HS Wall Run follow the same rule as Wall HS with regards to hands positioning (i.e. do they have to be within 6/12" of the wall)?

Looking at the video for PE10 they seem further away, but might be just an impression...

Yes to both questions

Adriano Augusto

That traps-blood pumping! Great Nash!

Nash

Progress as of today:

 

Wrists:

 

WP/2E2

FKP/SE2

WR/SE2

FP/SE2

 

As you can see from the photo below, I'm not at the athlete's angle yet. After I recovered from a wrist injury caused by FTP/SE3, I reverted to SE1 on everything, but kept increasing the angle every couple of weeks. The injury happened on 06/24/2014. 7 months later and I'm at the angle below. Taking it Eaaasy. I think that I'm a couple of month away from moving to SE3.

 

Warmup:

 

Standing Over-grip Dislocate: 10 reps. 14lb bar. Shoulder + 2.

Standing Unde-rgrip Dislocate: 10 reps. 9lb bar. Shoulder + 1.

 

Handstand:

 

PE11: Mastery today (I think!) Videos below. This one got interrupted by the wrist injury which set me back a few months. When I got back into it, I kept wearing my wrist braces for extra protection. Little did I know, it's a world of difference between braces and no braces for this movement. Having the braces on made it very easy to open up the shoulders. When I tried mastery without the braces, I kept failing at 40 seconds! So I scaled back to 36 seconds, removed the braces and built my way back up to 60 seconds.

 

Any feedback and greatly appreciated!

 

SE2 Progression
post-6337-0-99340000-1422412571_thumb.jp
 
* Note, chin, legs, hips are not touching. Only upper chest and feet. It's not very clear from the video.
 
H1/PE11 Front
 
H1/PE11 Side
Keilani Gutierrez

do you like that width for your handstands? or is that because of the injury? #justcurious

 

awesome progress, btw!