This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

False grip holds

Started by Mark Collins, December 14, 2013 · 8 Replies · 126 Views

Mark Collins

After the seminar I have been doing FG holds and am up to 4x24 secs. I have the hands turned in, but have a feeling they should be turned out. I tried them with the hands turned out and they were much harder.

So knowing Coach I am guessing the harder position is what I am meant to be doing. Are they to be done in or out?

Coach Sommer

In, please.

 

Once you build to 5x30s FG hang, then move on to 5x30s Inverted FG Hang.  Much more difficult.  Be sure to really use an exaggerated FG to get the most benefit from these types of exercises.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

In, please.

 

Once you build to 5x30s FG hang, then move on to 5x30s Inverted FG Hang.  Much more difficult.  Be sure to really use an exaggerated FG to get the most benefit from these types of exercises.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Is there a particular orientation that is more beneficial for inverted FG hangs? Currently my fingers are on the inside.

Mark Collins

Inverted! Now that is going to be interesting.

I was going to try 5x60, so thanks for that correct progression Coach.

Richard Hamilton

I probably ought to start working these as my false grip is terrible. I'll likely start from a row position and build up till I can get my arms straight. When are you doing these Mark? I think after F1 RC work my grip will be non existent so perhaps after a H1 session when the wrists and forearms are nicely warmed up would be most productive and allow better progress with the ROM?

Mark Collins

I do them twice a week with ring turnouts. On Tuesday I do them after Manna, Side lever, SLS and H1. On Saturdays on do a Crossfit workout H1 and them do them. When I first started the FG I was on my knees with elbows bent and only taking partial weight. I was terrible and they really killed my wrists. It has taken 18 months to be able to do 4x24secs with straight elbows so start now.

Richard Hamilton

Glad to hear you've made nice progress with them, sounds like twice a week will do the job for me. Best get that sorted out now before finding another mobility roadblock down the line! I think these will compliment the H1 wrist series nicely ;)

Jon Douglas

Im gonna slot em in regularly last thing in rings session, 2* a week. Unless i hear different I'll be doing it with the intention of fingers and inside elbows pointing the way Im facing.

Congrats on your progress Mark :)

Coach Sommer

Note also that these are extreme false grips.  You should be striving to have the wrists bent 90 degrees.

 

Beware, these are quite fatiguing; but my guys love these.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer