This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

forearm headstand - Can't control it

Started by Maxreves, December 14, 2013 · 10 Replies · 437 Views

Maxreves

Hi,

 

I'm doing the Handstand 1 program and I just finished the headstand portion of it (5 times 60 s).

I'm trying to do the forearm headstand, but I can't seem to get the balance right… I always fall backwards without having a chance to straighten up.

 

It's frustrating because I have no problem going in and out of the headstand. I can do it slowly and multiple times without falling.

 

When it comes to the forearm headstand, as I attempt to straighten up, my back arches, and then I fall backwards.

 

Any advice? Is there a step I'm missing?

 

Thanks.

Nash

Hey Max,

 

I had the same problem.

 

I started using a wall at first just enough to stop me over-balancing. Once the wall stops you, bounce off of it, keep straight, but find a small angle to keep your weight in your forearms. Aim for the middle of your forearms, though it should really be distributed evenly.

 

I repeated the above about 20 to 30 times (without doing it for time, just enough to get the balance right) in about 5 minutes. After that, I stopped using the wall.

 

Also, put a cushion behind you at first in case you do fall.

 

Good luck!

 

p.s. Post a video if that doesn't work. 

 

 

 

-Nash

Maxreves

Thanks Nash!

 

It's nice to know I'm not the only one having this problem.

 

I'll try out the "bouncing off the wall" trick. Hopefully it will work!

Micawberian

Just another perspective, it might help you to start from tuck and build up some time there, then extend into straddle, then straight legs after some weeks.

Maxreves

Thanks Biren, I didn't know a straddle would be easier. I'll try that as well! :)

Coach Sommer

- Always enter into balance positions slowly and with control.

 

- Make sure to also keep the weight on the elbows and forearms as well as the head and hands.  Remember that the purpose of this position is to build a base of support, so spread the load out evenly.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

thecolin

I found that weak traps prevented me from pushing up through the forearms and keeping my upper body aligned. As my traps have gotten stronger I've found this position much easier.

Michael Taylor

When I did these I found that if I tried to kick straight up to headstand then it would be hit and miss if I overbalanced and rolled out.

To resolve this, I kicked up to tuck and then used core strength to straighten out under control. I didn't miss one after that (slow and controlled into the position of balance as Coach instructs)

Richard Hamilton

This video popped up in my Facebook news feed yesterday... may be of some help to you...

 

http://vimeo.com/79619483#

Jacqui Collins

I'm been practising this for 3 weeks. I always have my husband spot me, which is much better than a wall.

I've been focusing on pushing through my arms/ hands, which is helping me maintain the correct position.

Maxreves

Thanks everyone!

 

I followed most of your recommendations (trying to move into the tuck position as slowly as I could, using a wall to break my fall when I lose balance, and trying to add more "arm" muscles into supporting my weight).

 

I am getting better at it. While it's never perfect (out of 5 attempts I lose balance about 2 times) I can hold the tucked position for about 15s. I'm gonna push it up to 30s before I start trying to straighten my legs.

 

Thanks again, I'm glad I posted my question in the forum!  :D