Is it ok if the squatting hamstring touches the entire calf OR must the hamstring be pushed away from the calf ?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
SLS/SE2 - Proper execution
Started by jaz, December 13, 2013 · 15 Replies · 534 Views
Good question. I always assumed that the hamstring should be touching the calf, but now that you bring it up, I wouldn't mind hearing from someone who knows better.
Since it's supposed to be a static hold of the bottom of a pistol squat it should be calf to hamstring. A static hold without the hamstring touching the calf would be pretty brutal, even by Foundation standards. ![]()
That being said, I think you'll probably find a better transition to later elements if you maintain tension in the glutes and press up instead of just resting on your heel.
I did the hold hamstring to calf, but prefer to warm up for SLS/GHR with hamstring not touching calf. The only issue I have with SLS is ankle flexibility, so YMMV...
Jon Douglas said:I did the hold hamstring to calf, but prefer to warm up for SLS/GHR with hamstring not touching calf. The only issue I have with SLS is ankle flexibility, so YMMV...
What are you doing to mobilize your ankles? After what feels like forever I'm finally making progress with my ankle mobility...
thecolin said:What are you doing to mobilize your ankles? After what feels like forever I'm finally making progress with my ankle mobility...
I picked up a drill from Alex-- walking on the inside of feet (big toe side; knees in similar position to bottom of an inside squat) and on the outside (smallest toes side). That and regular sets of the static SLS has fixed my ankle flexibility issue which screwed up my balance at the bottom of left leg SLS.
I'm confident that in time it will improve until I don't (necessarily) need the stretch to get full ROM.
Jon Douglas said:I picked up a drill from Alex...
That sounds interesting, I'll have to try it in addition to Kit's stretching routine that I'm following.
edit: Note to self, don't walk like that in public, it makes me look like a complete idiot. ![]()
thecolin said:That sounds interesting, I'll have to try it in addition to Kit's stretching routine that I'm following.
edit: Note to self, don't walk like that in public, it makes me look like a complete idiot.
I'm so used to training first thing in the morning that I stand up from my bed and walk out to make a coffee like that, then back to change into clothes for training with the other ![]()
Before even getting out of bed I do wrist stretches literally first thing. It is probably extremely weird but I'm 100% okay with that.
Hi Guys,
Will borrow your post for a quick check on this element and its integrated mobility. =)
I've also been doing SLS static hold with calf to harmstring, this is the last set of a 5x30":
as per the iM, I've found it quite difficult due to friction...
Looks very solid to me. On to SE3... If I was to add one thing it would just be that the ROM on your Left leg was not as good as on the Right leg.
thanks for tahe feedback MT nordic, you confirmed something I had noticed, my left leg seems slightly weaker in the iM. maybe is also because I always start thr sets with the right...However I have actually shown better ROM with the left leg as well in other sets, and probably should work a little bit more to keep it until the last one.
also because the next iM is still very though for me... looks like the iM will be the challenge for me in this progression ( but at least is going better than SL an MN!!!!)
Me too. I'm working SE3 now but can only do the iM with bent body, so I add in some of the ham curls afterwards to help build them up. Good luck.
MT Nordic said:Me too. I'm working SE3 now but can only do the iM with bent body, so I add in some of the ham curls afterwards to help build them up. Good luck.
While its on topic, SE3 says 5x5x10s Is this 10s on decent or 10s at the bottom, I have been working on 10s on decent. Wasn't sure though.
Correct, Matt. It's essentially a negative SLS, so 10 seconds on descent. It's much easier than its associated iM, but i'm making myself really focus on glute activation during the descent and it has really helped keep my ankle midline and stable. Once I get the iM i'm ready to move on. It's hard to tell how much "assist" to give with the arms. It looks in the video like he uses a fair bit, but in the directions says to use minimal. so i continue to work... Just in the last week i've made some progress on this and am able to do negatives of the iM down to the ground, but use assistance to get back up. Have fun with it.
MT Nordic said:Correct, Matt. It's essentially a negative SLS, so 10 seconds on descent. It's much easier than its associated iM, but i'm making myself really focus on glute activation during the descent and it has really helped keep my ankle midline and stable. Once I get the iM i'm ready to move on. It's hard to tell how much "assist" to give with the arms. It looks in the video like he uses a fair bit, but in the directions says to use minimal. so i continue to work... Just in the last week i've made some progress on this and am able to do negatives of the iM down to the ground, but use assistance to get back up. Have fun with it.
How are you doing the iM? I strap my legs to a weighted board at the ankles and below the knees. I have been treating it as a plyometric pushup so I go down slow, but try not to pause and bound up. I guess eventually the goal is to minimize momentum..
I'm doing it with my feet wedged under a weight bench. The bench has weight storage under it, so it's very heavy and doesn't move. I put my knees on a foam pad. It's not great, but it works. When I can bug my wife, I have her hold my feet and it's a little easier.