This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions about my current H1 training

Started by Guest, December 13, 2013 · 6 Replies · 277 Views

Guest

As of right now, this is my normal H1 training day:

 

1. Wrist stretches, 1 or 2 times through.

 

2. Wrist exercises (FKP, WP, WR) All one giant set, with 10s iM PE1 and PE2 in between. I'm on SE4 for all of these, and do 5 giant sets, all 5 reps of each.

 

3. PE3 x 60s, PE4 x 30s, PE5 or 6 x 30s/10r (one or the other), PE7 x 30s.

 

4. PE8 (HS Wall Runs) x whatever cycle/rep scheme I'm on.

 

5. Generally, after my workout I will do 3-5x5 overgrip standing dislocate + more wrist stretches.

 

Here are my questions:

 

1.Is my warmup enough, or should I be doing more? I'm thinking maybe another set or two of PE7.

 

2. I would like to make my wrist exercises more difficult. Right now for the FKP, I strictly push with my wrists with straight arms, for all reps. Maybe elevate these slowly until I can do them in a handstand? For WR, maybe hold each position for X seconds? For WP, have my wrists bent throughout the entire movement?

 

3. I would like to open my shoulders a bit more, would it be okay to add in some bridge work in addition to my F1 mobility? My F1 FL PE4/iM is pretty easy, so maybe 1-2 sets of 30s full bridges, or just continue with progressions in addition to that?

 

Thanks for reading all of this! You guys are awesome.

Bipocni

I heard Jon Douglas say he's trying to nail wrist rocks with straight arms, so that could be a goal for you.

 

Otherwise, to progress wrist exercises, you can move them to feet elevated, handstand against a wall and finally one arm variations.  Try to follow all 4 steps at each level though.

 

There's no reason you can't perform bridge work, as long as you've mastered the first three SL progressions in F1.  Otherwise you may find them too taxing on your spinal muscles.  Personally I'd recommend working wall walking bridges, with the aim of not needing to walk your feet out as you get lower, and finally to touching your chest to the wall at the bottom of the rep.

 

Only you can answer whether or not your warmup is enough.  Warmups are a very individualised thing, and if you think you are warmed up enough, you're good to go.  If not, you already know the answer to that question....

Micawberian
Awarenesss said:

3. I would like to open my shoulders a bit more, would it be okay to add in some bridge work in addition to my F1 mobility? My F1 FL PE4/iM is pretty easy, so maybe 1-2 sets of 30s full bridges, or just continue with progressions in addition to that?

I feel like, at this point with HS PE8, you should have already gotten the required open shoulders with ribs in for a correct handstand, no? I am at PE7 and this is my case. If you don't have the open shoulders, I would think somewhere incorrect mastery of a mobility element or maybe not enough weight during mastery. Unless you are looking to open them up even further than what is required right now? I don't know if this is needed, perhaps reverse planche is somewhere in the handstand series and will take the flexibility requirements further...

On second thought, I actually don't know how open your shoulders should be, considering palms are only 6-12 inches away from the wall, the demands are not that great as when I go down to 3 inches. When I once asked coach why we don't PPT in PE5 and PE6 to increase the shoulder demands, he told me to remember that we are only in the beginning stages of the handstand journey and that this is a natural part of the learning process. He had also said somewhere that bridge work was insufficient alone for increasing shoulder flexbility, which makes me think that time is better spent on upping the weight for the mobility you have already mastered. IMO, using 25 lbs right now for my PEim3 warm up, makes me wonder if it is still a warm up anymore :D

Joshua Slocum
Awarenesss said:

1.Is my warmup enough, or should I be doing more? I'm thinking maybe another set or two of PE7.

 

2. I would like to make my wrist exercises more difficult. Right now for the FKP, I strictly push with my wrists with straight arms, for all reps. Maybe elevate these slowly until I can do them in a handstand? For WR, maybe hold each position for X seconds? For WP, have my wrists bent throughout the entire movement?

 

3. I would like to open my shoulders a bit more, would it be okay to add in some bridge work in addition to my F1 mobility? My F1 FL PE4/iM is pretty easy, so maybe 1-2 sets of 30s full bridges, or just continue with progressions in addition to that?

 

Thanks for reading all of this! You guys are awesome.

1. Warmup looks pretty good, though I would add ~5 minutes of cardio work at the very beginning to get your heart rate and body temperature up.

 

2. I asked Coach this question at the seminar. He said that in his experience, his athletes did not benefit from increasing the volume or intensity (e.g. by doing them in handstands). Instead, they found it was most productive to make the movements as slow and controlled as possible. 

 

3. Some supplemental bridge work is probably OK. Just don't overdo it. Note that in a bridge your first priority should be to straighten your arms. 

Jon Douglas
Joshua Slocum said:

 

 

2. I asked Coach this question at the seminar. He said that in his experience, his athletes did not benefit from increasing the volume or intensity (e.g. by doing them in handstands). Instead, they found it was most productive to make the movements as slow and controlled as possible. 

Cool, I haven't seen that spelled out. Duly noted :)

 

Re the wrist rocks I'm not really that fussed if I actually ever get them 100% with straight arms, but getting that stretch is doing good things for my comfort in HS and support.

Guest

@Bipocni: I can do the part where you come up on top of your first with straight arms relatively easy, but I don't think doing the other portion would be possible for me, maybe piking a lot and having my arm leaning back. I'm actually on SL/PE9. 

 

@Biren P: Yes, I would like to open them more. I can make them open standing with no weight, however I must have flexion in my shoulders. I want to do this with less flexion.

 

@Joshua: 1. I normally do H1 after my training runs (45-60 mins). Not ideal, but it works best for me so I don't have to shower. 2. Very interesting!! Thanks for sharing. 3. Will do. I'm thinking maybe continue in FL/iM progressions, in a separate mobility session?

Joshua Slocum

Doing H1 after a run is perfectly fine! Nothing to worry about there.

For the FL mobility, you should be fine with additional work. Just make sure to keep aware of your body and don't overwork it.