This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Push up tempo

Started by Murray Truelove, December 11, 2013 · 7 Replies · 226 Views

Murray Truelove

I'm repeating a a micro cycle of HBP:PE2 of 5x15r. I've been performing them with a smooth descent and a slightly faster ascent like the demonstration video. I've been repeating the cycle to reduce the rest time between sets (Xiaopeng's!) but can otherwise complete mastery.

 

I decided to time a set and was surprised that it took about 35 seconds to complete, the mastery time for FL and ABH are 60s, using this as a guide a tempo of 2 seconds descent, 2 seconds ascent for 15r would take 60s. I found trying to do even 1 set at this speed grueling. Is this a worth while pursuit or is my current tempo fine?

 

Perhaps those who have mastered it could share their time? 

Ravn

This issue has been raised before, and the conclusion according to Zach, as far as I recall, was that a slow gruelling tempo is unnecessary, but control is paramount, and momentum should be killed at each rep.

Joshua Slocum
Ravn said:

This issue has been raised before, and the conclusion according to Zach, as far as I recall, was that a slow gruelling tempo is unnecessary, but control is paramount, and momentum should be killed at each rep.

Pretty much this. They key here is that you want to have have enough control that you could stop at any point in the movement if you wanted to: you shouldn't be using momentum to help you get up and your descent should be smooth. 

Murray Truelove

Thanks guys. I'm happy with my current form so now it's just about getting the rest times down.

Joshua Slocum
Murray Truelove said:

Thanks guys. I'm happy with my current form so now it's just about getting the rest times down.

My advice is to work up from lower volume without rest, rather than trying to reduce rest at full volume. I find it's much easier psychologically. 

Murray Truelove
Joshua Slocum said:

My advice is to work up from lower volume without rest, rather than trying to reduce rest at full volume. I find it's much easier psychologically. 

It's only before the last two sets that I need to take an extra minute or so. I've just been repeating week 11. What would you recommend? 

Joshua Slocum
Murray Truelove said:

It's only before the last two sets that I need to take an extra minute or so. I've just been repeating week 11. What would you recommend? 

Try week 9 with no rest; if you can do that, move up from there. 

Murray Truelove

Cheers.