help with ring swing

Started by rishoboy6, March 11, 2009 · 8 Replies · 3,097 Views

rishoboy6

here's a short video of me swiging on rings, forget the end, that was just me fooling around haha. . .

i just wanted to get some feedback on my swing, i know there's a lot of room for improvement. any feedback good or bad would be helpful

Blairbob

Good. You're well on your way to this:

http://drillsandskills.com/video/display?path=riz001.mpg

It will just take time to develop and get more and more amplitude. Work the swing, get stronger and it will continue to get bigger. That swing has a few mistakes, but it's pretty good.

Gregor

I dissagree with drillskill show...His technique is not good...

Back swing:

1.at the back swing you must out your head at normal position (slightly up) and not down

2.rings must not be loose, they must be allways on tension with rings appart and under grip

3.lean on your chest anw wait your legs to go high as possible

From back swing to front swing:

1.lean on your chest (chests go first, hips follow, legs go last)

2.at the vertical start putting your head in

3.kick up to the straps in following order :arrow: chest :arrow: hips :arrow: legs (fingers)

at the same time rings go appart and turn wrists tu undergrip

4.to hollow position (upper back, like quasimodo character in victor hugo's novel Notre Dame de Paris)with squeezed abs and butt, head in and with rings on tension.

When you're going back is vice-versa.

rishoboy6

thanks for the reply. . .is there anything specific that you guys see that i could fix? is getting a higher ring swing basically just a stronger tap at the bottom?

matthew.percussion

I've always had trouble with ring swings. Possibly due to my height, but more likely due to bad form.

I tap too soon and it pulls my spine really hard, makes it pop even. I used to have a problem with my shoulders grinding when I would swing.

@Gregor:

Could you post a video of what you think a ring swing should look like? I think it would benefit us all.

Gregor
rishoboy6 said:
thanks for the reply. . .is there anything specific that you guys see that i could fix? is getting a higher ring swing basically just a stronger tap at the bottom?
Most likely bad technique.
Gregor
matthew.percussion said:
I've always had trouble with ring swings. Possibly due to my height, but more likely due to bad form.

I tap too soon and it pulls my spine really hard, makes it pop even. I used to have a problem with my shoulders grinding when I would swing.

@Gregor:

Could you post a video of what you think a ring swing should look like? I think it would benefit us all.

I have it somewhere, if I'll find it, I'll post it.

Blairbob

Gregor, Gabe's ring swing has it's faults. At the time he was an Junior Olympic optional. Level 7 training Level 9. He got good turnover but had some positions that needed to be worked out. Pretty good for a developmental gymnast it more what I meant rather than National quality.

Matthew, the fact that your spine pops during any swinging means you have not warmed up enough in your warmup. We get our backs all cracked out and shoulders loosened either at the beginning of our warmup and our rings warmup. Your back cracking merely means there is tension in those muscles.

Gregor
Blairbob said:
Gregor, Gabe's ring swing has it's faults. At the time he was an Junior Olympic optional. Level 7 training Level 9. He got good turnover but had some positions that needed to be worked out. Pretty good for a developmental gymnast it more what I meant rather than National quality.

Matthew, the fact that your spine pops during any swinging means you have not warmed up enough in your warmup. We get our backs all cracked out and shoulders loosened either at the beginning of our warmup and our rings warmup. Your back cracking merely means there is tension in those muscles.

I have somwhere perfect swing on video, but I don't know where. In my opinion you must allways show perfect technique, because there will be allways deviations from that, so ...