This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What is appropriate level of soreness before next workout?

Started by Jennifer, December 11, 2013 · 9 Replies · 311 Views

Jennifer

Should I be:

 

1.  slightly sore in the muscle being worked out

 

2.  pleasantly aware that something happened with that muscle in the recent past  (between 1 & 3)

 

3.  not sore at all

 

Thanks in advance for your insight!

 

Edited to add:

I guess I'm secretly asking if it's ok to be slightly sore all the time and just wait for deload to fully recover.

Joshua Slocum

Being a little sore most of the time is fine, but you should feel pretty much completely refreshed after your deload week. 

Adriano Augusto

Deload weeks when you're progressing through F1 to more advance exercises & volume are glorious and totally needed.

 

But in my experience I only feel "sore" in mastery weeks when I've to do mastery of 2/3 exercises in its final template: for example, the next mastery week I've 4 exercises in mastery scheme: FL/PE2, sPL/PE5, HBP/PE3 and RC/PE2, all in one workout. But is curious because I feel pretty recovered the next day, I only feel sore that day of training.

 

Foundation it is not a killer workout, at least in the aspect of DOMS or extreme soreness.

 

In any case, recovering it just a matter of nutrition, proper sleep and less stressful life. With all conected, you'll be fine.

 

;)

TANSTAAFL
Adriano Flo said:
With all conected, you'll be fine.

;)

Can I borrow some of your dots?

Jennifer

Ok, I just had a small epiphany reading Frederico's posts of late.   It didn't occur to me until looking over his schedule that  I can move up in smaller increments than the mastery template cycle shows.   :facepalm:

 

 

I hope I feel this way one day about FBAS.

 

Foundation it is not a killer workout,

 

Adriano Augusto

Foundation is a killer workout DURING training, a lot, especially for FBAS (I'm looking at you PPP), but I haven't experienced tiredness after 1/2 hours later, on the contrary, I feel really fresh. This varies a bit on mastery weeks as I have said. 

 

In specific terms, we can say that Foundation is quite intense for a short period of time but not fried your CNS to not be able to train in the evening, for example. 

 

All this at least in my experience, of course.

Jon Douglas

Mm, I also don't experience much in the way of DOMS, aside from the first couple workouts on new elements. For mobility elements, especially weighted ones, I keep to a level of definitely knowing that I've stretched and not wanting to repeat it the next day, but not muscle fatigue/soreness. By the time Thursday comes Im always ready to repeat my Mon workout even if it was relatively intense

-MR

I remember being sore for the first few weeks when I started upping the volume on push-ups, but that no longer happens regardless of how hard I push myself on that exercise now. According to some of Coach's previous statements, Foundation was designed to not leave people completely burnt out and unable to do anything else post-workout. The idea is that gymnasts should still be fresh enough to practice skills, and non-gymnasts should be able to pursue their own physical/athletic interests on top of their Foundation work. 

 

When people have asked specifically how to go about adding a sport (i.e. jiu-jitsu, climbing, etc...) to Foundation when first starting, Coach typically suggested holding off until one's body got used to Foundation, and then to slowly add the other physical pursuits back in. It doesn't take very long to adapt to the new exercises; one or two weeks at most. Furthermore, you'll see that as you progress you'll be mastering exercises at different rates, so that you won't be exposing yourself to 7 new movements and 7 new mobility exercises every three months. That being said, one way to avoid soreness from new exercises is to start the exercise at week 1 rather than at week 5 or 9. 

 

If you're always sore to the point of not being able to do anything else after your first few months of Foundation, you may want to reconsider how fast you're moving up in your progressions. I'd say that after a month or two, you shouldn't be feeling number 3 very often if ever.

Ravn

Sidenote...

 

Pretty good rule of thumb regarding DOMS:

 

Soreness in the muscle belly: Ok, not really a problem, although you may not be able to perform to your max.

 

Soreness near or at the joint: Usually bad, as muscle tendons are probably overloaded and inflamed, or the joint itself is irritated which could be strained ligaments or worse.

dritar

I rarely feel DOMS with Foundation. Even so, the deload week is always welcome as I can feel some systemic tiredness by the end of the 3rd week of the cycle.