This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progressing dislocate elements

Started by Jon Douglas, December 11, 2013 · 29 Replies · 1,547 Views

wamarler
alex87 said:

the plates make the exercises easier since the rom is a little bit less? mm i can say no!

talking about IM7 and IM8. if you have a plates you cannot start in an optimal position, since the traps are near the point of maximum contraction and here the muscle is weak and, due to the shortening of the muscles , you cannot use the stretch reflex to help your movement, so you are actually doing something more difficult.

Well, I don't know about easier or harder -- but from this it sounds like the extra ROM that is taken away when you put a plate on the bar is not important.

wamarler
Bipocni said:

At what point should we stop trying to achieve a closer hand placement, and start working on adding weight?  Or should dislocates eventually be treated as two separate exercises ie weighted and unweighted?

From other posts I've seen I recall that one hand-width wider than shoulder-width is the target. But I'm sorry, I don't have links to back that up :-/.

Keilani Gutierrez
wamarler said:

From other posts I've seen I recall that one hand-width wider than shoulder-width is the target. But I'm sorry, I don't have links to back that up :-/.

Littleton! my buddy Taimatsu is from there ^_^ (technically Alaska, but whatev :P) 

 

going back to what you said previously about the ROM that gets taken away by adding weight- thats because you're developing more active flexibility with the more weight you add. equate it to doing a closed straddle or pancake stretch but not being able to stand and lift them up with muscular strength to the same height. 

Jon Douglas
alex87 said:

the plates make the exercises easier since the rom is a little bit less? mm i can say no!

talking about IM7 and IM8. if you have a plates you cannot start in an optimal position, since the traps are near the point of maximum contraction and here the muscle is weak and, due to the shortening of the muscles , you cannot use the stretch reflex to help your movement, so you are actually doing something more difficult.

I played with this a while ago as well. What will make it easier is, in the prone versions, raising the chin on an Incline. I forgot about it until you mentioned the decline version being more difficult

Jon Douglas

As a PS when I say full ROM on these i am generally talking about the hand width. Where the bar travels is not significant (unless it limits that movement,like putting the head on an incline as I mentioned^), it's the shoulder/upper back movement that is the focus. A narrower grip requires a tighter rotation and thus affects the movement-- the grip and the weight are the variables to manipulate, not the result :)

#perspective #thinkwaytoomuchaboutthisstuff