press handstand drill. are my shoulders dislocating?

Started by tonio145, December 10, 2013 · 7 Replies · 1,841 Views

tonio145

I'm doing this wall drill to strengthen my shoulders and core for press handstands.  I'm using this board to add a little bit of incline and a ball to make it easier. my plan is to gradually reduce incline and then maybe get a smaller ball. at the top of the movement around 3 or 4 seconds it feels like my shoulders are dislocating. just wondering if they are supposed to do that or if I'm doing something wrong 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mh7deM6R8A&feature=youtu.be

gravy

I think you need to protract more. Your chest is pushed all the way out.

tonio145

I'm not really sure what it means to protract in handstand I thought that was mainly for planche.  should I not let my shoulders and upper back lose contact with the wall?

Handbalancer

Its not supposed to feel like that. It does because you are off balance and allow yourself to internally rotate your shoulders like in a dislocate. What you are doing here is shoulder wise closer to the "invert" type of freeze bboys do though they bend their arms and have a wide arm placement.

 

What you should be doing for your press handstands is building a rock solid freestanding handstand. Learn to tuck it while staying on top of your shoulders, as well as slowly straddling down to the floor. Once you can do that you can start to do drills for presses such as box presses and lowering as far as you can and pressing back up. 

tonio145
Handbalancer said:

Its not supposed to feel like that. It does because you are off balance and allow yourself to internally rotate your shoulders like in a dislocate. What you are doing here is shoulder wise closer to the "invert" type of freeze bboys do though they bend their arms and have a wide arm placement.

 

What you should be doing for your press handstands is building a rock solid freestanding handstand. Learn to tuck it while staying on top of your shoulders, as well as slowly straddling down to the floor. Once you can do that you can start to do drills for presses such as box presses and lowering as far as you can and pressing back up. 

yeah i thought i was probably doing the movement wrong. should i practice tuck handstands on the wall to build strength? i feel like it is easier to stay on top of my shoulders this way. when i try free standing i tend to have a shoulder angle. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyvRV_l5vFo&feature=youtu.be

 

this is as close to the wall as i can, I'm only able to lower one leg so far. but if i start further away or use my incline board i can lower both legs. i noticed this makes it harder to keep my back flat.

gravy

The shoulder angle is off in that last video. I think what handbalancer is saying is that you need to master your freestanding hs before you start working towards a press hs.

As suggested earlier, lunge/kick to hs and wall hs would be good to work on. Since your line is variable in quality, I think it may also be beneficial to do some line drills with a focus on hollowbody and shoulder protraction.

Handbalancer

Build up a significantly better freestanding before working tuck. Against a wall like that does not work. There are tuck drills against walls but neither is what you should focus on now. If your handstand is good, a tuck is not very hard at all.

tonio145

ok i will just continue freestanding then. so far my record is 40 seconds but it wasn't with my best form