Hi, I've been trying to start F1 but after being unable to find a suitable gym with stall bars etc I'm having trouble with some of the exercises.
What have people found as good alternatives in a standard gym to using:
Stall bars
Pommel horse
Thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by BeanLion, December 9, 2013 · 9 Replies · 387 Views
Hi, I've been trying to start F1 but after being unable to find a suitable gym with stall bars etc I'm having trouble with some of the exercises.
What have people found as good alternatives in a standard gym to using:
Stall bars
Pommel horse
Thanks
Can't you improvise a stall bar in a squat cage by sticking the safety pins through the holes in one side of the rack?
Personally, I do it at home to save myself the fees and having to endure the intolerable gym follies ![]()
Ravn said:Can't you improvise a stall bar in a squat cage by sticking the safety pins through the holes in one side of the rack?
Personally, I do it at home to save myself the fees and having to endure the intolerable gym follies
But then who will ask you why your rings are missing the foam handles?!
Squat racks, smith machine, power rack, plyometric boxes, GHR machines (if lucky) all work well.
Unless you're quite advanced, the only reason you would need a stall bar when starting F1 is for the RC mobility. In that case you just need to find a horizontal bar that can be fixed in place. That should be fairly easy to arrange in a gym (a bar with some plates on a rack would work).
For the pommel horse, at the beginning you just need it for the sPL mobility which you can do by laying on a regular bench.
If you're more advanced than what I assumed and still need help, tell us what exercises you're specifically working on so that we can focus our efforts while trying to help you.
M
All normal gyms in Norway have stall bars :-)
For pommel I use an ab bench elevated on some blocks.
Thanks for your replies. I'm definitely not advanced yet, so for the pommel it would be the sPL iM's. Though when I work up on the SL I'm not sure how I would do the RLL?
I wish all gyms in the UK had stall bars! I recently moved cities and scouted out all the gyms to see if I could find one with some basic gymnastic equipment in, doesn't really happen these days.
Where did you move to Bean?
I'm more interested in learning about substituting the stall bar for MN mobility exercises
Moved to Cambridge for work. Seems like a nice place, more peaceful than I'm used to. Can't see me staying here too long though
I belong to a commercial gym and I use two secured barbells on a squat rack to emulate a stall bar feel. It's not perfect but good enough to do the job. I also use a smith machine. You have to play around with finding the proper placement of the bar in relation to supporting your body through the movement.