This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE3 Form check

Started by thecolin, December 8, 2013 · 8 Replies · 275 Views

thecolin

How's my form on these? My endurance obviously isn't enough for mastery, but how is it for a start?

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM_wt3pZxnQ

 

Looking at the ground behind me it looks like I had the camera set up a bit crooked, so I was getting much closer to horizontal than it looks. I can't really get down lower with out my ass hitting the ground.

Duff

You could slow down a bit, just to make sure you are doing controlled reps.

 

Don't turn your wrists completely inward, only rotate them to parallel. Look at the athlete in the video. It's harder not turning them in.

 

Also, you seem to be reaching forward with your head. Or maybe you lack retraction. Someone else will probably be able to provide a better opinion on this.

thecolin
Duff said:

You could slow down a bit, just to make sure you are doing controlled reps.

 

Don't turn your wrists completely inward, only rotate them to parallel. Look at the athlete in the video. It's harder not turning them in.

 

Also, you seem to be reaching forward with your head. Or maybe you lack retraction. Someone else will probably be able to provide a better opinion on this.

 

I'm not sure what you mean my reaching forward with my head. Do you mean when my head moves down slightly at the bottom as I keep my eyes on the rings?

 

From my understanding, a controlled rep just means no bouncing or swaying, which I don't think I'm doing, am I mistaken? My tempo isn't correct, as I slow down in the set. Which as I mentioned means my endurance is lacking. But I don't think a specific pace is required, as far as I've read, the course video just goes slowly to demonstrate form clearly.

 

I don't actually find keeping my arms straight more difficult, quite the opposite in fact. When I get tired on multiple sets, that last little twist and pull is the part of my form that breaks first. In what way do you find it more difficult?

 

Thanks for the input.

Duff
thecolin said:

I'm not sure what you mean my reaching forward with my head. Do you mean when my head moves down slightly at the bottom as I keep my eyes on the rings?

 

From my understanding, a controlled rep just means no bouncing or swaying, which I don't think I'm doing, am I mistaken? My tempo isn't correct, as I slow down in the set. Which as I mentioned means my endurance is lacking. But I don't think a specific pace is required, as far as I've read, the course video just goes slowly to demonstrate form clearly.

 

I don't actually find keeping my arms straight more difficult, quite the opposite in fact. When I get tired on multiple sets, that last little twist and pull is the part of my form that breaks first. In what way do you find it more difficult?

 

Thanks for the input.

Turning the wrists in activates the biceps more, like in a chin-up. It might be harder to you, but if you look at the video in the course, you can see he doesn't do that. 

 

About the head movement, I'm not sure. It looked to me like you "reached over", as if you were getting your chin over a bar, but rewatching the video, I don't see it clearly, so disregard that  :ph34r: .

 

As for speed and tempo, if you feel control over the whole range of movement, you are OK. It just looked to me like you were pulling explosively on the first rep to compensate on the top.

 

But really, just keep your forearms and wrists like the athlete in the course video.  :)

Richard Hamilton

Pretty much what Duff said. I'd just go from IR to a neutral grip as in the course video.

If you pause your video when you're at the top of some of the reps it looks like you're protracting your neck which is fairly normal but should phase out as you get stronger. What week in the cycle are you working atm?

dritar

Looks ok, but I'd lose te supination and do it in neutral grip like in the video. Make sure you are always touching your shoulders with the ring, as that's a good way to gauge if you are losing retraction strength in the last reps or losing body shape.

 

These ones are a tough cookie, I've mastered them last week after what must've been atleast 3 or 4 months more than it should have. Looking forward to spending even more time in RC/PE4 which essentially a crueler version of this exercise :P.

 

Good luck.

thecolin
dritar said:

Looks ok, but I'd lose te supination and do it in neutral grip like in the video. Make sure you are always touching your shoulders with the ring, as that's a good way to gauge if you are losing retraction strength in the last reps or losing body shape.

 

These ones are a tough cookie, I've mastered them last week after what must've been atleast 3 or 4 months more than it should have. Looking forward to spending even more time in RC/PE4 which essentially a crueler version of this exercise :P.

 

Good luck.

 

That's part of the reason why I like turning the rings in, it gives strong feed back of how high I'm getting, and I know instantly if I'm not getting as high. I'll have to play with it and try touching the rings without rotating in.

 

Can anyone actually explain specifically what the difference is between incline and ground rows in terms of progression and why the shift in arm rotation? Aren't they fundamentally the same move with a change in inclination? I'm wondering if this is actually fundamental to the move, or it's just that there's difference between the two videos because the two respective athletes have a slightly different style? It seems to me that the fundamentals points remain identical regardless and that rotating the arms in at the end doesn't change the move in any significant way. Pardon the stubbornness, but I'm curious about the specifics.

dritar

I think it's a straightforward progression. Hinge rows are weird but once you get the form right they feel to me like an easier version of ground rows. Other than the first progression I think we  just change inclination and increase difficulty. 

 

For me ground rows where a huge rampup from Incline Rows as Incline I just tested mastery on 5x15 without much problem, but had to build ground rows from the ground up (after stubbornly thinking I should start them on week 9).

thecolin
dritar said:

I think it's a straightforward progression. Hinge rows are weird but once you get the form right they feel to me like an easier version of ground rows. Other than the first progression I think we  just change inclination and increase difficulty. 

 

For me ground rows where a huge rampup from Incline Rows as Incline I just tested mastery on 5x15 without much problem, but had to build ground rows from the ground up (after stubbornly thinking I should start them on week 9).

 

I thought hinge rows were kind of pointless when I started, but now I realize how excellent a starting point they are.

 

It does seem like a big step up from incline to ground rows. It would seem to me that if the important top position is the one for ground rows, why wouldn't you just start incline rows with the same form?