Help needed with stretching

Started by BeanLion, December 7, 2013 · 6 Replies · 2,759 Views

BeanLion

Hi, when I sit with my legs straight on the floor I can't sit up straight. My lower back rounds out. I've tried taking a picture so you can sort of see what I mean. It doesn't look as bad in the picture as it was awkward taking it.

What stretches should I concentrate on to be able to sit up straight? Is it hamstrings or something else?

Thanks in advance

post-3167-0-12298800-1386422899_thumb.jp

wheezer

Hi bean. Can you lean forward if you bend your knees?

 

If so, it is tight hamstrings. The hamstrings are not (yet) willing to stretch enough to create the slack needed for a 90-degree bend in the hips.

 

The lower-back will round out to try and get your upper torso vertical (to take pressure off the abdominal wall) considering the lack of bend in the hips. When your hamstrings are looser, you can bend more at the hips and no longer require a hunched back.

 

There's a guy called Kit Laughlin who knows a lot about hamstring flexibility. You can see a few of his videos here.

BeanLion

Thanks for your reply. If I sit with my knees bent I still struggle to lean forward with my back straight, it just rounds. Could it be my hip flexors?

I did see another post about Kit's book, seems like it would be a good buy. Shame the shipping to UK is so expensive though.

Rayne-William

Because almost everyone tilts the upper portion of their pelvis backward, people sit down on backside their tail bone rather than the "Sit bones."

 

To sit on the "Sit bones" we have to tilt the upper portion of our pelvis forward.

 

Sitting up straighter is a matter of being aware of which way you tilt the upper portion of your pelvis before you actually sit down.

Bret Kennedy

I thought I might just add a little on this. When you stand straight do you have a lordosis (curve in your spine) can you lean forward, keeping your knees locked and bend at the hip (like a waiter bending forward) and keep your back straight up to around 50degrees of forward flexion? Not being able to bend forward standing with your legs locked to at least 50 Deg forward flexion is a key indicator of tight hamstrings. Also be aware though that it may not be just the hamstrings, the fascial system runs from your big toe up the back of your legs, your spinal muscles past the scapula and actually finish on the head on top of the eye. You might want to also try to stretch your whole superficial back line, which includes sitting over the edge of a table, bowing your head and stretching one leg forward. I find from my surfing that this gets really really tight and can be quite painful, something else to look at.

 

Lastly, how mobile is your spine? the above comments are 100% spot on with the hamstrings being a major factor in keeping the pelvis tilted. The hip flexors will not come into play as much if you are sitting with your leg straight as they are mostly disengaged. That is unless you have 'super super' tight hip flexors, which also is possible.

 

how are your movements through your cat cow mobility? do you find that on 4 points that you are unable to lower your back alway the down and really arch your back? you may find that you do have some spinal mobility issues, and if you do you can do some very easy mobility drills to help increase the intervertebral movement all up and down your spine.

DiTi

in my opinion u have a weak lower back thats why it stays rounded

Richard Hamilton

I'm in a similar situation and have a rounded back when sat like that or cross legged. DiTi is probably right that you have a weak lower back and this has become apparent as my mobility has improved. Focus on getting your hips more mobile and add strength on top of that. Arch holds will do nicely :)