This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090310

Started by Coach Sommer, March 10, 2009 · 4 Replies · 1,408 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090310.jpg

Perform the following:

3 sets: 1-3 XR Strap HSPU to 1-3 Bulgarian Dips to 1-3 MU Transitions to 1-3 Bulgarian L-sit Pull-ups to BL to FL

3x5 Tick Tocks

Finish with 2x10 Wall Extensions

notes:

1) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

2) Rest at least 2 minutes between Tick Tock sets.

3) Complete all of the ring strength sets prior to beginning the tick tocks.

4) Attempt to go from exercise to exercise with no rest, adjusting the exercise repetitions as needed to complete the ring strength series as a single set.

5) If this ring strength series is either too easy or too challenging; feel free to adjust it accordingly. Remember however that the ring strength series you choose should require a strenuous effort to complete.

Post your ring strength set construction in the comments below.

Jason Stein

I had to break this into separate ring stations. I performed the XR HSPU low to the floor over a mat, then scooted to a mid-level set for the Bulgarian dips, finally finished with a MU to higher rings to perform the remainder.

This one was a bit of a beast.

3x:

3 XR HSPU [band-assisted]

3 Bulgarian Dips

3 MU Transitions

3 Bulgarian L-sit Pull-ups

Half-lay BL

Half-lay FL

3x5 Tick Tocks: half-lay BL, half-lay FL

Finisher:

10 pole extensions, 2x10 Wall Extensions, 10 Front Shoulder D., 10 Rear Shoulder D.

  • Some thoughts:
    [*:m5qs3djr]The half-lay BL feels much more stable than the half-lay FL; the FL evaporated during the tik-toks as fatigue (and grip fatigue) set in.
    [*:m5qs3djr]A question for Coach Sommer --- would you advise an arbitrary decision to pick levels of PL, FL, and BL --- and then stick exactly with those for the next 8 weeks? I ask because the first several weeks for me I spent a lot of time simply learning the movement and learning what I could and couldn't perform, and perhaps now it's time to commit to a progression for a Steady State cycle.
    [*:m5qs3djr]The ring strength training, even segmented, has been pretty cool because its efficacy is immediately noticed. I feel like I'm making tremendous strength gains. Though ask me tomorrow and see if I can lift a fork to my mouth.

Nobodystopsdblob

Perform the following:

3 sets of 3 XR Strap HSPU (headstands against wall) to 3 Bulgarian Dips to 3 MU Transitions (lower through transition) to 3 Bulgarian L-sit Pull-ups to BL (advanced tuck 7 count) to FL(advanced tuck 7 count)

3x5 Tick Tocks tucked

Finish with 2x10 Wall Extensions

Back squat, 1 rep 225 275 325 345

Shoulder Press, 1 rep skipped

Deadlift, 1 rep 325 375 400

Blairbob

Hmm, I skipped the basics because I didn't start till 10:30 cause I was gabbing with an adult from the adult class who used to be an Elite. We had a lot of gym talk to cover. I did a set of PB swings and some kicking to HS and hit the GB WOD.

5m rest periods.

I was concerned about the 1-3 strap XR HSPU. I did them till a 90 degree angle in my shoulders and elbow so not full ROM. 3r.

I went from support through to false grip hang for the transition. Faster than I'd like but acceptably controlled and slow. Straight BL and advanced tuck FL. I did feel the tightness that the L pullups ( Bulgarian ) required in my lower back.

3m rest periods for tick tock. Start in inverted hang in adv tuck, lower and pull through to 1/2 lay BL.

5m later finishing off with 1 wu set of 10 light DL, 3 sets of 4r with 5m rest periods of heavy DL, 1 set of SLDL and GM lightish of 10r.

Wall ext hurt bad. Warmed up with cuban presses.

Hey Blob, nice numbers on your incomplete CFT. I thought about it today but oh well.

Jason, what are pole extensions? Yeah, BL is typically easier than FL. World of difference. I'm hoping I can start working 1/2 lay FL in a few months and get FL by summer.

Jason Stein

Blair,

For some reason I had been assuming development in BL should match development in FL --- so if you were performing straddle BLs, you should be performing straddle FLs. Nice to know that is not the case.

Anyways, Pole Extensions:

The Pole Extensions are a bit easier than Wall Extensions and make for a good warm-up for it because they allow more movement forward and backward.

Pole Extensions are most effective if you use a broomstick or PVC pipe, though I suppose a strap, band, bungee cord, or towel would work. I've been using a PVC pipe.

You'll need a pole, pillar, or some vertical object that at least reaches over-head.

Put your back to the pole.

Thread the object behind the pole and hold it overhead.

Pull the pipe slowly down toward your shoulders and then back up, trying as much as possible to maintain the same form as for the Wall Extensions, i.e. elbows out, palms forward, wrists, elbows and shoulders all on the same plane.

As my shoulders, chest, biceps lengthen, I gradually slide my hands towards each other. Usually for the final few, I'll roll the PVC pipe down my palms and onto my forearms and do active release.

I also try to round my low back into the pole, just like in Wall Extensions, to avoid reaching into the lumbar spine.

best,

j