This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Introducing myself

Started by Mark S., December 7, 2013 · 6 Replies · 124 Views

Mark S.

Hello everyone,

I am just getting started and am reading through the Foundations 1 and Handstand 1 courses. I have a simple question that I would like to ask, but first the introduction!

I live and work in Fairbanks, Alaska. I have a very physically taxing seasonal career that demands I stay in top shape. Over the years, staying fit, I have been an endurance junkie, a muscly and slow weight lifter, and in the last few years a body weight enthusiast. I have suffered numerous injuries throughout my career - a broken back (2010), broken feet (2009,2010), and started out this spring with a broken scaphoid and tendinitis in my right pec minor and rotator cuff. Being on a cyclical ride of injury and recovery has been the name of the game for the last 6 or so years. I can count some of my injuries to imbalances in my musculature, and that is why I am so excited to have found this program and group.

I'm back at a point of full recovery, and ready to dive in to the first workout!

Ok, the question. As I begin with my testing, am I to follow the workout template, only testing for mastery the exercises and levels that are listed for the day per the template? Or am I to go about testing in a 1-7 manner ie:FL through RC? I am assuming that I follow the template doing half of the exercises for mastery Monday, then the other three on Tuesday.

Just a bit of clarity will get me on my way.

Thank you all!

fazool

First, welcome and enjoy the journey.  I do not feel that I am qualified to answer your question regarding the testing schedule.  I opted to just start the program at PE1 for all seven elements.  As it turns out, it has been a very humbling experience.  I am better at some of the elements when compared to the others.  However, none where initially close to mastery 12 weeks ago when I started.  I have progress nicely in some areas, slow in others and not at all in the SLS (deck squats).  However, I will keep plugging along.  I have notice a difference already in the mobility area.

 

I have an old injury, a tear in the right rotator cuff.  Prior to beginning F1, my mobility in raising my arm overhead or to the rear was limited and at times painful.  Since the inception of F1 both the mobility and pain threshold has improved.

 

I hope you see comparable results with your injuries.

Mark S.
fazool said:

 

I have an old injury, a tear in the right rotator cuff.  Prior to beginning F1, my mobility in raising my arm overhead or to the rear was limited and at times painful.  Since the inception of F1 both the mobility and pain threshold has improved.

Excellent! That is great!

It's pretty fun looking at the work and wondering where my sticking points will be! I think I'll just dive in, and start working the templates as they stand, working towards finding where I stand.

Have a great night

LateStarter@46

Welcome to the party Mark. The journey is as fun as the destination.

Good luck with your training :-)

Joakim Anderson

Welcome to the forum. I'd split the mastery attempts up on two days, just like in the training program, and go from there. Come back and tell us how it went. :)

Jennifer

Welcome!  This forum is a wealth of information and if you can't find something by searching, someone will have an answer.

 

Good luck!

Mark S.

Thanks for all the replies, folks! I know getting into this that I have a big imbalance between pushing and pulling on the upper body, and my lower body is drastically stronger than my upper.

It's going to be fun, I'll post what the results are when I finish the testing.

Good day to you all