This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Doubting my MN/PE1 mastery after trying MN/PE2. AKA form check!

Started by Nash, December 6, 2013 · 21 Replies · 803 Views

Nash

Hi Guys,

 

After playing with Straddle Ups for a while, it felt like a huge jump from Tuck-Ups in strength and mobility. Which leads me to believe that I must have been doing PE1 all wrong.

 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

 

p.s  4th and 5th reps were not controlled. I would've repeated those in mastery and they would've looked like 1-3 or 6-7.

 

Thanks!

 

Guest

You're PE1 is fine. PE2 has been a struggling block for most people on here. I know I had trouble on it due to lack of straddle mobility/coordination, and had to repeat quite a few weeks on it. Make sure to do some straddle stretching, and it will come in time. PE3 was pretty damn easy after that, probably could've mastered it, but wanted to be sure so I started on week 9. Good luck!

Mats Trane

They will come along dont give up! As an extra exercise (after your main workout), you could put in some seated straddled leglifts and hold for time. Make sure your knees are tight while doing it.

RJS

Im in the same place as Nash, just starting this element and trying not to fall over while coming up, wondering how this is going to improve.

Well, not implying your falling over Nash, thats just me.

Bipocni

I've found a simple butterfly stretch has increased my flexibility to the point that I'm hampered by active flexibiliy now in the straddle ups.  I get cramps in my hip flexors that stop me from increasing my ROM, whereas before it just kind of.... stoppped.

 

Seated straddle leg lifts are potent tonic, give them a go.

dritar

+1 for the seated straddle leg lifts.

 

I'd do some middle split and pancake split stretching if you really suck at it too (like I do). The idea wouldn't be to actually have a full split, but atleast being able to sit on the floor in a straddle without hunching your back makes MN PE2 easier.

RJS

I have added the straddle stretching and downward dog in my daily yoga sessions. Thanks folks.

Nash

Thank you for the encouragement and input guys.

 

I added seated straddled leg-lifts to my routine like the video below, but holding for time instead of pulsating.

 

Also, added pancake split stretching though I cannot tilt forward more than 20-30 degrees.

 

My plan of attack is to keep repeating week 1 of  mn/pe2 while doing the 2 elements above until my form becomes passable. Then move on to week 2.

 

I'm assuming passable means feet at head height   :icon_rolleyes:  (can't find tears of pain emoticon)

 

 

Thanks again!

Bipocni
Nash said:

I'm assuming passable means feet at head height   :icon_rolleyes:  (can't find tears of pain emoticon)

I think it means until your legs touch your chest actually.  You may as well complete the full week 1-4 microcycle.  It's what most of us are doing.

 

And don't worry about how long it's going to take.  It just means you get to concentrate on your flexibility and add weight to your jefferson curls.

Joakim Anderson

 

Here's another video with both the pike and straddle variation. I like what he says about L-sit too, extending the feet forward and not just folding over trying to press the legs up.

RJS

Thanks for the videos, i didnt realize thats what the move was.

Mats Trane

I made this video of a supplemental exercise. Remember to have locked knees and pointed toes and actively be pulling your legs towards yourself.

 

Bipocni

Is that really as painful as it looks?  It looks painful...

Mats Trane
:) No it's not painful. I'm just trying to pull my legs towards my body to 100%
Bro'

I tried it, it produces much less cramping, which is nice.^^ 

RJS

I tried the straddle leg lifts and straight lifts, it seems im able to do sets of ten. Ive been trying downward dog and the leg lifts as integrated mobility with a 5x 10 sort of thing.

Keilani Gutierrez
Bro said:

I tried it, it produces much less cramping, which is nice.^^

straddle leg lifts just dont feel the same without the quad cramps.
Jennifer

Oh my goodness, I was trying some of these and what is it about the quad cramps?   

KeilaniG said:

straddle leg lifts just dont feel the same without the quad cramps.

Coach Sommer

Nash,

During MN/PE1 you have a tendency to first sit up with your torso and then tuck the legs up. This is incorrect. The torso and legs should both begin and end simultaneously.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nash

Thanks Coach.

 

I'm going to repeat the last mini cycle in PE1 while working on my straddle stretches/lifts; prepping for PE2.

 

 

-Nash

wheezer
Coach Sommer said:

During MN/PE1... The torso and legs should both begin and end simultaneously.

 

More work for me to do...  :mellow: