This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Kick up to handstand

Started by goswser, December 5, 2013 · 5 Replies · 349 Views

goswser

Hello.

 

I've been making some great progress with my handstands lately but I have a problem with kicking up into a handstand, specially with the force I use to get up. A majority of the time I kick up nicely but sometimes I over-kick or don't kick enough and I need to roll out of it. 

 

I noticed H1 doesn't cover this portion of the handstand, not what I can understand at least. Are there any tips for this or is it something you will get better at with time? The way I kick up is putting my hands on the floor and then just kick, but I've thought about it and I think it's the least best way to get up. I think either lungin with a kick is better or just be able to press up, but this is rather high skill for me.

 

Any thoughts or tips?

Jason Dupree

For me keeping my legs straight helped. I used to not straighten till the end. Keeping them straight gave me much more control. I also try to actually press into it with my shoulders, but the momentum of the legs is assisting that press. Idk if that helps you but I hope it does

Daniel Burnham

Proper handstand Kick should go through a scale. Arms should be kept straight above head.  Do not allow to shoulders to close by reaching down, reach out as far as you can.  

 

Back leg should be kept straight the whole time and the other leg should be made straight as soon as it leaves the ground (or preferably the whole time).  Due to flexibility and not being used to the movement most will need to go to a bent leg lunge and use that to push more.

 

As soon as hands hit the ground lock them and get the body straight.  Failure to do this generally results in close shoulder and either not making it up or falling over depending on power of kick and how your body will try to arch/pike to compensate.

 

Try to think about touching the legs to the ceiling during the kick up, this will help prevent over kick.

One tip Yuri taught me is to slightly over kick with the first leg to go up and then scissor them together to meet directly overhead.  This allows a slower and more controlled kick as the you counterweight the legs.

 

Good example here at 27 seconds.

 

Drills and skills also has some pretty good example pics of what I mean by the shoulder angle and scale down (though its not a proper scale because his knee is bent :) )

http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/19

 

Side story:  the head boys coach in my gym once stopped me and made me work on the kick to handstand for an hour to eliminate a knee bend and toe point problem that I had.  Not necessary for noncompetitive practice but It may be a good idea to film yourself to see if you are making a mistake. 

Bipocni

I've always had trouble with this.  Last time I checked, I can't kick up into a handstand.  I figured I would just build press handstand strength up to the point I don't need a kick....

Daniel Burnham
Bipocni said:

I've always had trouble with this.  Last time I checked, I can't kick up into a handstand.  I figured I would just build press handstand strength up to the point I don't need a kick....

never say can't!

 

learn to kick it is also essential for tumbling skills

goswser
Daniel Burnham said:

 

Text

Thanks, I have to start working on this. It looks so much smoother and better than my way. Do I have to keep my front leg straight, because I don't think  I can keep it that way with my current flexibility. 

 

How do you focus on keeping the arms straight? I tried this way of kicking up some years ago when I just played around but I was scared of faceplanting or something, because I hit the ground quite hard with my hands and I couldn't keep my arms straight.