Knee pain during pikes.

Started by Bipocni, December 5, 2013 · 3 Replies · 2,339 Views

Bipocni

Straight leg pike stretches.  I feel them in my knees before I feel them in my hamstrings.  Any advice?

Duff

I feel them more in my knees or a little higher too, but it's not pain. I think it's because I can't fully close the hips due to flexibility problems. I find positions where I can maintain a flat back more useful for stretching the hamstrings. 

 

http://b-reddy.org/2013/07/29/better-exercises-to-stretch-the-hamstrings/

 

I find this one good. I also use straddle pancake and the low position of cossack squat.

Vincearoo

This is anecdotal advice, but what has helped me immensely is stretching my calves. I always thought my hamstrings were to blame, but since I've been working n my calves my flexibility in pike has increased dramatically and there's no pain behind my knee anymore.

Coach Sommer

Vincearoo is correct.  The discomfort you are feeling is from tight calves; not the hamstrings.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer