This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sitting test for life expectancy

Started by Joakim Anderson, December 5, 2013 · 8 Replies · 286 Views

Keilani Gutierrez

lol i saw that

Bipocni

Before I even opened the link, I was like, "oh, it's that one french study."

 

This is the first time I've seen it rated on that scale though.  Previously, it was rated on a scale of 1-5, based on how well you could stand up off the floor without using arms or legs for support.  Each extra point of contact you had with the ground was an extra point on the scale, and a decreased life expectancy as a result.

Joakim Anderson

Statistics aside though, it seems like an alright test for general physical health for older people, or at least hip mobility. I mainly posted it because of the picture's resemblance to twisting squats. Get anywhere near mastery of that and this test is a joke. :)

Bipocni

It basically is twisting squats, just without the 'twist' between reps.

 

I like my version of the test better though, because it allows for more variations on how to get up (deck squats, anyone?)  Although people naturally tend to perform a 'twisting squat' I asked a girl to do it once and she basically performed an inside squat from the ground up.  I seriously thought her knees were going to explode.

Joakim Anderson

I'm gonna try it on some random friends and family and see what they come up with. :P

Bipocni
Joakim Anderson said:

I'm gonna try it on some random friends and family and see what they come up with. :P

Don't be surprised if most of them can't do it.  It's like standing up from a chair on one leg.  Most people think they can, but when they actually go to try it....

mr jones

I read some of the comments and a physical therapist said... 

 

 "Your long twitch muscles(core) will have to be in great condition. Most of our elders do not have good core muscles. This can also be dangerous for elderly to try if their balance is compromised. Sorry I don't buy it."

 

Is it just my ignorance or do "long twitch muscles" exist? I'm guessing she's talking about slow twitch fibres but why would she also refer to them as core muscles?

Bipocni

I'm not sure.  From what I can remember, the core is mostly made up of fast twitch muscle fibers.