This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foot Cramp in PPP

Started by Chris Clarkson, December 5, 2013 · 11 Replies · 434 Views

Chris Clarkson

Hi all,

 

This is my first post on the forum, most of my questions prior have already been asked by someone else!

 

I have had great progress with my Planche Leans (going through week 11 now but will do another micro-cycle to polish them up) but am severely stalling with my PPP. Every time I start to descend on my PPP I get considerable cramp in one of my feet on the underside. Elevating my feet reduces the frequency of cramp but due to the additional resistance I find myself reducing my lean/rolling back on my toes.

 

From an anatomy point of view I am quite long head to toe with long arms which I figure may have something to do with my problem.

 

Is there additional mobility I need to do to be able to move forward here, should I slowly try and increase my elevated lean over time, should I revisit my pushups or do an alternative exercise such as ring pushups/elevated pushups that have greater resistance?  

 

All answers appreciated!

 

Chris

IcedDante

I had actually been meaning to post this question for a while as I have been dealing with something similar. For me the pressure on the toes on my right foot is extremely uncomfortable. I too also get a cramp in the sole of my foot and that typically manifests itself when I'm doing the iM for Speed Skater Squats. I plan on getting a lacrosse ball and rolling it out frequently. Perhaps a golf ball would be a more appropriate size though.

DonGray

I actually asked this question, about foot cramping when my toes are pointed (like in planche leans etc) on Kit's Stretch Therapy forum and this was his response:

 

I remember talking to Coach about this one time when I was in Arizona and the conversation went something like this: "after about 10,000 repetitions, the cramping will get less". I do not recall him saying that it would go away completely! And the same thing happens in my feet to if I'm working particularly hard. I find that I do not need to stretch the whole calf muscle, only soleus (the underlying one; and stretching soleus always stretched the cramping foot muscles, too) and that can be done with a very quick and simple kneeling stretch while still on the floor.

Watch

; at 11:44, cramping and the kneeling stretch to stop it is demoed.

Overall, the cramping in the feet and calf muscles does improve, but I have to say, not fast enough for me! And like you report, common in HS, too.
Chris Clarkson
DonGray said:

I actually asked this question, about foot cramping when my toes are pointed (like in planche leans etc) on Kit's Stretch Therapy forum and this was his response:

 

I remember talking to Coach about this one time when I was in Arizona and the conversation went something like this: "after about 10,000 repetitions, the cramping will get less". I do not recall him saying that it would go away completely! And the same thing happens in my feet to if I'm working particularly hard. I find that I do not need to stretch the whole calf muscle, only soleus (the underlying one; and stretching soleus always stretched the cramping foot muscles, too) and that can be done with a very quick and simple kneeling stretch while still on the floor.

Watch

; at 11:44, cramping and the kneeling stretch to stop it is demoed.

Overall, the cramping in the feet and calf muscles does improve, but I have to say, not fast enough for me! And like you report, common in HS, too.

 

Thanks for that, Kit Laughlin book bought... integrating into my schedule. I have lost my mastery in pushups in the meantime so back to the drawing board on these - hopefully by the time I get back to PPP I will have fewer flexibility issues... 

strme

my experience:  i have no cramping ,if i have good warm up. 

Adriano Augusto

I deal with it too; weakness leave the body. 

emilianop

I think more or less we're all cramping.

I just wish my feet were the main problem on the leans :)

IcedDante

I've started wearing shoes when I do this. Problem solved for me, but I guess I was not dealing with cramping so much as I was dealing with the pain of the bones in my right foot pressing into the ground.

VegVeg

I think shoes might cause problems with positioning the foot and it might also make the movement itself quite easier . ( it kinda pulls your body backward reducing the load )

 

That's just from my experience tho.

Joakim Anderson
DonGray said:

Watch

; at 11:44, cramping and the kneeling stretch to stop it is demoed.

 

I'd recommend these too. Here's another shorter video from Kit's Youtube-channel:

 

Adriano Augusto

Wearing shoes is the opposite to pointed toes, and you've to have pointed toes during a planche lean because from toes there is tension too. I think wearing shoes is a bad idea IMHO.

emilianop

95% agreed with Adriano.

 

The remaining 5% is about wearing minimalist shoes with a sole so soft you can bend it between index and thumb... that's ok :D