This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Just starting out with Foundation 1 and need some advice

Started by Dan Jeong, December 4, 2013 · 10 Replies · 230 Views

Dan Jeong

so I've been trying out the mastery for every single exercise starting PE1 to gauge my current level and although that I do have a mastery over a lot of the exercises, I struggle a LOT while attempting mastery that I do not feel confident that I actually "mastered" those exercises.

So my question is, should I keep attempting to move forward till I find the exercise that I fail to gain a mastery, or should I stick to the lower level exercises until they become easier?

Joakim Anderson

If you're struggling a LOT as you say, I would stay on it until I really feel I master it, not just pass it. And film yourself and compare to the instructional video and focus points, you'll most likely find details to improve by doing it.

Bipocni

Second this ^^^^^

 

If you have to take extra rest, or don't feel comfortable with tempo/ROM you should definitely stay on this week until you've mastered it.

kimura

Stay on it until you are confident in your mastery. It can only help you in the long run. Also note that shaking or grinding reps means you haven't demonstrated mastery.

Murray Truelove

If you are really unsure (mastery shouldn't a struggle) you could always do a micro-cycle; weeks 9-12. At worst you've wasted 4 weeks at best you find that you were just shy of mastery and needed a little bit of extra work.

Ravn

Ok guys, I get what you're saying, but do me a favor and master the PPP's, and then tell me you didn't struggle. Some exercises may be easy to master but others will most certainly be a struggle.

RC/PE6, FL/PE6 and HBP/PE3 comes to mind.

Bipocni
kimura said:

Also note that shaking or grinding reps means you haven't demonstrated mastery.

Shaking doesn't mean sucking.  I still shake on FL/PE1 and I'm in the final microcycle for FL/PE3

Joakim Anderson
Bipocni said:

Shaking doesn't mean sucking.  I still shake on FL/PE1 and I'm in the final microcycle for FL/PE3

 

But it does mean you haven't mastered it, right? There's a sticky about that.

Bipocni
Joakim Anderson said:

But it does mean you haven't mastered it, right? There's a sticky about that.

Welll, the world record for the plank is somewhere around 80 minutes.  You can bet any amount that guy was shaking his ass off, but I'd say he has them pretty well mastered, wouldn't you?

 

Edit: More specifically, watch a ring handstand, or any advanced GST skill.  I think if you look at the sPL work in F2 you'll see some shaking....

kimura

I'm just basing it off what coach said in the shaking thread. For the first PE especially, I would think he would expect very little shaking. It also depends how you define shaking. Some minimal shaking is normal I think, but I think we can all tell the difference between that "micro shaking" and real shaking.

howens

Best AnswerCoach Sommer

20 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

- Shaking is due to the nervous system and musculature being in duress.

- If you are shaking, even if you managed the mastery target in terms of either time or reps; you have NOT demonstrated mastery.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer