This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Long Time Motivation Tricks

Started by PhilTaylor, December 3, 2013 · 30 Replies · 965 Views

Thomas H.
thecolin said:

Once you find a groove, your mind and body will just effortlessly slip into training. Don't get me wrong, motivation is important as well. But motivation just gets you started, habit is what keeps me moving towards my goals.

I made the exactly same experience. :)

Joshua Slocum

One other mental trick that helps me: I tell myself that I can stop when I fail (e.g. can no longer do proper form/tempo), but no sooner. 

 

For some reason I find this very reassuring on the long endurance holds.

Erik Rissanen

If we are talking about the long endurance holds or the high rep sets, then one trick I find helpful is to just think that if I give up before I have completed the goal, then it means I failed the template and I have to repeat another cycle of whatever I just found very uncomfortable to do. :o

Jon Douglas
Erik Rissanen said:

If we are talking about the long endurance holds or the high rep sets, then one trick I find helpful is to just think that if I give up before I have completed the goal, then it means I failed the template and I have to repeat another cycle of whatever I just found very uncomfortable to do. :o

Yes-- ' do it right and you only have to do it once!' :)

Of course you still do single sets in your warmup, but that's nothing after the full five with no rest :)

ausswe

After doing the same mini cycle for the third time the thought of doing it again was enough to help me keep holding the position for the last set or 2 of the 60 second holds. Couldn't bare doing the mini cycle again!