So, I have a friend who is ready to start working on his cross and he was asking me what I thought about cross trainers.
I've looked around a lot on the internet and this forum, however I still haven't found a solid answer. I've seen videos of gymnasts training with them, and a few "tutorials" with them. Some people say that cross trainers aren't good for getting a cross, and others say they are. There really isn't any information on the internet about training for higher level skills, but there's a lot about stuff like Levers, HSPU, and quite a bit on planche.
So, what would be the best way to go about training for a cross after all the pre-requisites have been met? Would cross trainers be a viable option, or would something like resistance bands be better? I've read that spotting is apparently the best method, however, he said he doesn't have anyone to spot him, and I'm sure nobody else does either unless they're training at a gymnastics facility.
Cross Trainers?
Started by Cody, December 1, 2013 · 5 Replies · 3,191 Views
This guy is pretty damn strong. He has full planche presses, pelicans, reverse/inverted muscle ups.
Steven Low also has an article on it (he's achieved it):
http://www.catalystathletics.com/articles/article.php?articleID=32
For a person who's already achieved all the prerequisites for iron cross training, cross trainers can be helpful in developing the strength for a cross. However, they're by no means necessary.
I prefer straps
Depends on how much you can control the progression of leverage.
If you are "ready" to begin training iron crosses, training iron cross in the trainers is helpful when used in combination with correct progressions.
If you are insufficiently physically prepared to make iron cross training a priority, iron cross training (whether with or without trainers) should be nothing more than an occasional bit of entertainment.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer