Is this muscle-up variation possible

Started by Alan Tseng, November 30, 2013 · 8 Replies · 4,312 Views

Alan Tseng

Behind the neck pull-up + Korean dips. Instead of bar in front of you, the bar is in the back in this variation

Daniel Burnham

I have heard of a gymnast doing it. I believe he was a collegiate gymnast. Supposedly he held eagle grip and pulled to what was basically a korean dip. A few if us tried it but were unable to even pull ourselves.

Ravn

I've seen this in some of the Ukrainian street workout vids posted on this site, so yeah, possible, but not with standard pullup grip I suppose.

Alan Tseng

I assume chin up grip would be easier than pull up grip?

B1214N

Yes this is possible, it's called a German hang MU. I've seen it done in supinated grip and pronated grip before. Supinated grip will use more biceps while pronated grip will mainly use some other elbow flexor like the brachioradialis. I can almost do the full ROM German hang curl with a supinated grip. A more advanced version would be Ians (back lever curl + Korean dip).

Bipocni

Yeah, I've seen it before.  But I've never seen it done with a clean execution.

 

Hopefully it will show up later in the GB curriculum.

Cody

This?

B1214N
Bipocni said:

Yeah, I've seen it before.  But I've never seen it done with a clean execution.

 

Hopefully it will show up later in the GB curriculum.

Do you mean the arching? If so, then I think you need to arch when you are doing it on a bar to keep the COG balanced on your hands just like you need to arch in Korean dips. Most of the ones in the street workout videos look pretty clean to me.

 

I doubt it will show up in the GB curriculum since Coach seems to focus more on the inverted MU (inverted curl), but I believe they both require similar or the same amount of biceps strength so you might be able to do the other if you are able to do one of them.