Can't Recover From Ankle Injury

Started by Yaad Mohammad, November 30, 2013 · 8 Replies · 3,634 Views

Yaad Mohammad

Hey guys, around 8 months ago I sprained my ankles. It took me 3-4 months to recover. After 6 months I felt completely recovered. But each time I make a slight wrong movement my ankle slightly sprains again. This has happened 3 times now, it feels like I will never get rid of this problem and it is devastating. What do you guys recommend me to do?

Alessandro Mainente

Sprained ankles let to complete or partial damage of connective tissue that, when healed, lose the major anatomical and functional properties since it becomes scar tissue. it becomes less elastic, lest stronger etc. so basing on what you said you will never be able to fully recover you previous joint stability and the fact that you got more sprain, it a sign of that. for sure reinforce your calves will decrease the probability of another sprain. during the first seminar i did, Coach explained some curious exercises to make the ankles stronger. 

so no better opportunity to get a seminar and ask for them.

Guest

I highly suggest swhitley's video. Maybe consider seeing a doctor/PT.

Bipocni

I twisted my ankle once jumping down a flight of stairs and then I ran on it.  Not the smartest move.  It's never felt 100% since.

 

However, I really like the joint prep in F1.  I twist my ankle all the time when I go running, but all I need to do is shake it off and I'm pretty much fully recovered straight away.

 

Also anecdotally, simply standing on the sides of your feet helps strengthen your ankles.

dynamo

Just some ideas...

 

1.  Have you tried ankle mobility drills to see if there is an obvious range of motion issue?  P196 of Kit Laughlin's book mentions a C-R stretch that "can be effective for restoring full movement to those people who have sprained their ankles."  Probably others out there to try as well.

2.  I'm not saying this is the case in your situation, but sometimes another body part, for example often times the hips, are not moving properly which causes an injury somewhere else in the kinetic chain.

3.  Have you tried massaging or foam rolling / lacrosse ball / golf ball rolling in, around, above and below the injury to see if there are knots there?

 

As alex87 mentioned, making it to one of Coach's seminars would be awesome and might be just what you need.

Yaad Mohammad
swhitley said:

These might help? The first half of this video is just talking and drilling in the importance of the second half - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1XvEbJUKE

 

Thank you, this was extremely useful.

dynamo said:

Just some ideas...

 

1.  Have you tried ankle mobility drills to see if there is an obvious range of motion issue?  P196 of Kit Laughlin's book mentions a C-R stretch that "can be effective for restoring full movement to those people who have sprained their ankles."  Probably others out there to try as well.

2.  I'm not saying this is the case in your situation, but sometimes another body part, for example often times the hips, are not moving properly which causes an injury somewhere else in the kinetic chain.

3.  Have you tried massaging or foam rolling / lacrosse ball / golf ball rolling in, around, above and below the injury to see if there are knots there?

 

As alex87 mentioned, making it to one of Coach's seminars would be awesome and might be just what you need.

I already recovered my range of motion and massaged my ankle a lot with my hands, haven't tried the other methods. What do you mean with knots? I would love to visit Coach's seminar, problem is that I'm 17 and my parents won't allow me travel abroad alone for somethings like this. Maybe when Coach comes to Holland?

dynamo
Yaad Mohammad said:

Thank you, this was extremely useful.

I already recovered my range of motion and massaged my ankle a lot with my hands, haven't tried the other methods. What do you mean with knots? I would love to visit Coach's seminar, problem is that I'm 17 and my parents won't allow me travel abroad alone for somethings like this. Maybe when Coach comes to Holland?

knots meaning spots that are sore or tender when massaged, but get released with constant pressure on them, but it sounds like you don't have to worry about these.

Christoph

I'd suggest: See a doctor first, and then worry about rehabilitation (PT, coach Sommer or whoever). I once sprained my ankle very bad (won't forget seeing it bent 90° sideways haha), and it took more than a year to fully recover. First I had been in the hospital, they put on a plaster cast - that was nonsense in the end. After some months I went to better doctor, he made a MRI: Not a single ligament was broken, but quite a few were extended and deformed. So I did some more physio, took a lot of care of my ankle, and in the end it was fully back.

 

Rehabilitation is good, but prior to paying a lot of money (or believing in theories that it will never fully recover) you have to know what really happened.