Video Camera

Started by aiken54, November 29, 2013 · 3 Replies · 2,109 Views

aiken54

So my phone is great and all for strength videos, however when it comes to tumbling, 30 FPS just doesn't cut it. 

 

Example: http://youtu.be/hCFQcNpDcV8?t=1m5s

From 1:05 to 1:20, the limitations of my phone show themselves the most. 

 

Should I just get a GoPro? If I do that, can I set it so it's not super fisheye? I'm looking to get something under $300, but that isn't really fixed.

Ravn

Nice moves!

 

It is not necessarily the lack of 60 fps that is causing the blur - It is probably the performance of you camera under low light conditions. Try comparing the indoor shoots vs. outdoor shots.

 

When the light is low, your camera must compensate by having longer shutter time to keep the exposure up - Otherwise the video would be very dark. Long shutter time introduces blur when catching fast movement. So would you want, I imagine, is a camera with better optics and light sensor. Better optics let more light through the lens, and a bigger sensor chip is able to absorb more light than a small sensor, simply because more light hits the sensor if it has a bigger surface.

 

There's a few photo sites that explain the basics, try searching for the "exposure triangle" to get started.

 

In short, 60 fps probably won't solve your problem. Look for optics that let more light through. The f/ number on a lens will let you compare this ability. Smaller numbers are better.

aiken54

Thanks man! I'll keep that in mind. Probably no GoPro then, since it has sub par indoor video. Where would be a good place to start? Honestly, I don't even know what to google.

Ravn

Try searching along the lines of "best low light video camera, point and shoot"...