This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pseudo Planche Pushup Form Check

Started by dynamo, November 28, 2013 · 13 Replies · 432 Views

dynamo

How's my form?

 

Christian

You sag too much in the middle. Notice how your hip barely goes up and down and all the movement is on the upper part of the body. Sorta like hinge PPP.

Try to make sure that hips, chest and shoulders move together.

dynamo

Thanks, I think I might be hinging up and down off my posterior pelvic tilt.  Do you think flattening out the posterior pelvic tilt, squeezing the glutes and tightening the core more will help?

Christian

Might. Also when you lean into it it looks like you aim the stomach to the floor instead of keeping the body hollow and just leaning forward, so focus on staying hollow and protracted and lean into a planche lean before starting the push ups.

dynamo
Christian said:

Might. Also when you lean into it it looks like you aim the stomach to the floor instead of keeping the body hollow and just leaning forward, so focus on staying hollow and protracted and lean into a planche lean before starting the push ups.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Keegan Y
dynamo said:

Thanks, I think I might be hinging up and down off my posterior pelvic tilt. Do you think flattening out the posterior pelvic tilt, squeezing the glutes and tightening the core more will help?

By "flattening out the PPT" do you mean increasing your PPT/flattening out your lumbar spine?

And if so, then yes, I think you are hinging at the hips because your core is not yet capable of stabilizing through the movement.

If you look at the demo video you'll notice that the athlete's lower back is pretty much completely flat (PPT/Hollow) throughout the movement while yours is "neutral " at best (probably even a little towards the APT side even).

B1214N

Yeah, I definitely see some slight arching (APT) and hinging at the hips otherwise it's good.

dynamo

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I understand gb is working on putting out instructional information on how to achieve a hollow.  In the meantime does anyone know a good place to find step by step instructions, preferably w/ a video, on how to hollow?

Keegan Y

The term "hollow" in GB (at least from my understanding) essentially means the same thing as being in a Posterior Pelvic Tilt (PPT). This results in the tailbone "tucking under", and essentially straightens out the natural curve in the lumbar spine, thus placing the abdominal muscles in a more advantageous leverage position to stabilize the spine against "radial" forces.

Many people have a difficult time achieving this position while in a plank due to tight hip flexors and tight lumbar erectors (lower back). They may also lack strength in the abdominals and hip extensors to be able to maintain the position as the leverage decreases (like in a Planche lean or PPP).

Hope that helps.

IcedDante

I think your tempo is too fast as well. As you make these corrections I think you should slow it down a smidge to make sure you are doing this without the benefit of momentum and really focus on your technique.

dynamo

Is my form better?

 

 

Do I need to do more hollowing?

Keegan Y

It looks much better than it did. Tough angle to judge from (for me anyway) though as to whether it's up to mastery standards (purely from a form perspective). Hopefully one of the GB coaches or certified athletes can make a more experienced assessment.

Ravn

Looks good, but I think you need to stop and lock out at the top of each rep.

Jon Douglas

I agree with Ravn. Lock out and pause briefly at the top, you are bouncing there and it looks like you are 'throwing' your elbows straight. Now is a great time to arrest that habit.

Llooks good otherwise, hopefully that is a quick fix for you