This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lower spine position in Straddle hollow body hold

Started by whaureb, November 27, 2013 · 2 Replies · 181 Views

whaureb

Hello.

 

I'm currently on week 12 of Straddle hollow body hold (will have to repeat last cycle), and started wondering if my lower spine should touch the ground on the movement.

The problem is, that when rotating my legs like shown (trying to point toes bit away from each other), my big gluteus muscles tense and lift the lower spine off the ground. Trying fix this by forcing the spine back to ground with porsteriorly tilting pelvis lifts my legs too high. If I point my toes to ceiling, I can do the movement without tensing the glutes and can keep spine on ground.

In bent hollow body hold I was easily able ho hold the whole lower spine touching to ground.

 

So, is keeping the whole lower spine in contact with ground necessary for completion of this movement?

:)

Keegan Y

Yes, otherwise you will be unable to rock smoothly in the next PE.

I don't think externally rotating the hips/feet is required as the athlete doing the Straddle HBR's is not doing so. I think it's just a matter of individual preference/variation.

Joshua Slocum

Your lower spine absolutely should be touching the ground. PPT (posterior pelvic tilt) is of utmost important in a hollow body position, whether it's laid out or straddled. 

 

Try pressing your lower spine into the ground, and then straddling as much as you can while keeping your lower spine pressed into the ground. Don't worry about rotating your legs.