This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Forearm stand

Started by Darren Veira, November 27, 2013 · 5 Replies · 226 Views

Darren Veira

Cory,

I'm on the forearm stand progression of handstand one, and I am leaning to one side. I don't understand it because I feel centered but when I get my girlfriend to video tape me I can see that my hips/legs are leaning quite a bit to the left. This wasn't the case when I did the headstands. Do you have any idea what might be causing this and how to correct it? I don't think i should move on until I can hold it in a perfectly straight line.

Thanks,

Darren

Vincearoo

Let's see the video.

It sounds like probably your base isn't equalized.

Gripjj

Darren - I have the exact same problem you described. Like you say I dont feel it myself, I feel centered, but when looking on video its clearly visible. 

 

When I stand in front of a mirror I can see one hip bone higher up than the other and I think I've been told I have one "longer" leg. I dont know for sure but maybe when getting upside down this imbalance is brought. 

 

I've had my gf watch me and let me correct me until she think Im straight in hip-section and everything else. It's really valueable and the only way I can know for sure Im standing as correctly as I can.

Darren Veira

Here is a video:

http://youtu.be/0e_nXYL7YZc

The issue is even more visible when I don't interlock my fingers behind my head (if I just rest my hand behind my head without interlacing my fingers I lean even more to one side). Is this some type if imbalance I'm unaware of? Or a kinesthetic awareness issue? Any help is appreciated.

Micawberian

There was someone two years or so back who had this issue with his free HS. He would lean to one side but felt straight. If I remember correctly, the forum members general advice was that he would simply have to get it correct to neutral, through video or a spotter, and just have to get used to that feeling over time.

I think my other advice would be to make sure the forarms are placed equal, sometimes one forearm creates a smaller angle to the head and I can feel more weight on it.

Murray Truelove

If you are using something like a yoga mat you could always measure where your hands (or elbows in this case) and head need to be and put some tape down - this way you guarantee that your base is correct. If this doesn't resolve your issue a spotter is probably the best solution.