This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated planche lean - focus on increasing lean at static height, or static lean at different elevations?

Started by Seabird, November 26, 2013 · 4 Replies · 213 Views

Seabird

When training the elevated planche lean, should one go straight from the planche lean (I've got a good planche lean at this point, can hold it fine with my hands under my hips) to an elevated lean thats just high enough that they can keep the proficient level of lean while also increasing difficulty by increasing the elevation, or should one just go straight to say, shoulder height elevation with less of a lean, working up to a full lean?

 

I ask because I have been doing an elevated planche lean for some time, but I've been just doing it with a chair thats at about shoulder height. I'm a few inches from hip level now, but I did a cycle with my hands at a certain point and tried yesterday to increase the lean, and I think I dislocated my shoulder. It popped right back in right after it popped out, less than a second total probably, and it sounded lightly like velcro tearing, but there was no lasting pain and the only symptom now is a bit of some minor soreness when I lift my arm or pull with it. I'll probably take a few days off until there isn't any soreness, but going forward, which aspect should I focus on in training the lean?

B1214N

You can switch to the elevated planche lean and then work up to its full lean or you can just stick to the feet-on-ground planche lean and then keep leaning further until your feet rise off the ground.

 

I had a similar shoulder injury when doing FL rows one day. I just rested for a couple days and then it was all back to normal.

Erik Rissanen
B1214N said:

You can switch to the elevated planche lean and then work up to its full lean or you can just stick to the feet-on-ground planche lean and then keep leaning further until your feet rise off the ground.

Really!?  :o  That would be almost a full planche, wouldn't it? While still in F1 out of F4, where the end goal of F4 is a straddle planche?!

 

I am on the planche lean myself and working to get enough lean, but it's hard to see from the video how much is enough because the video is shot from an angle. There are some threads in this forum on the topic, but it still is not quite clear to me because people keep telling to increase the lean as much as possible.

 

It doesn't look like a lot from the video, as I can see. The hands are just a bit in front of the hips. And as an exercise in F1, the goal cannot reasonably expected to be to the point that the feet rise of the ground. After that there would not be much point for the remaining progressions, or am I wrong? :huh:

Joshua Slocum

Yeah, don't try to get to the point where your feet lift off of the ground. 

 

If you've mastered 5x30s on the regular planche lean, I would think 3x6s with elevation and full lean would be do-able.  Can you post a video of your planche lean in case there's an issue with it?

 

I don't think it matters much whether you keep the lean the same and increase the height, or keep the height the same and increase the lean.

B1214N
Erik Rissanen said:

Really!?  :o  That would be almost a full planche, wouldn't it? While still in F1 out of F4, where the end goal of F4 is a straddle planche?!

 

I am on the planche lean myself and working to get enough lean, but it's hard to see from the video how much is enough because the video is shot from an angle. There are some threads in this forum on the topic, but it still is not quite clear to me because people keep telling to increase the lean as much as possible.

 

It doesn't look like a lot from the video, as I can see. The hands are just a bit in front of the hips. And as an exercise in F1, the goal cannot reasonably expected to be to the point that the feet rise of the ground. After that there would not be much point for the remaining progressions, or am I wrong? :huh:

Yes that would be a slightly below horizontal full planche and most definitely beyond F4 level. The OP said he can do planche leans with hands under hips so that's why I gave him that suggestion. This was also originally posted outside of the F1 sub-forum and so I thought he was at a beyond F1 level planche lean and I didn't want to give out specific F1 information. Not sure if the OP has F1 though.

 

When I said full lean there, I meant the point just before you get balanced on your hands (feet lift off) and that's what I assumed he meant too. The F1 planche leans do not have the full lean otherwise it wouldn't be F1 level.