This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL: KExt

Started by Jon Douglas, November 25, 2013 · 18 Replies · 602 Views

Jon Douglas

Finally nailed 5*5 on kip extensions. Don't know how long I've been on this one, but months. For some reason my endurance dropped way off after 2 easy sets of five-- id have trouble completing any reps at all sometimes in set 3+! Today I walked out of exam room and banged em out one after another, like clockwork.

So so pleased. Hit it one more time to reassure myself its.no coincidence, than on to.... tuck levers, I guess? Bring on the SE's :D

Nb- writing on my phone, I forgot which number PE this was to label it correctly, but feeling too victorious to not post immediately.

NBB ;

Pretty sure that all this rev pl and limber training is beefing up my tuck pl. Not sure whether its the extra straight arm conditioning or the truly epic pec and shoulder stretching involved, but today felt easy at 4*12+IM with 0 rest, a new experience for me as pl has always been a weak spot. Even feeling like I could master it this year.

Feeling victorious and wanted to share. Who else has started the new week with a bang?

Ravn

Post deload week, I'm going to go back to 4x60 hollow rocks, that should resound with a giant thud.

Congrats on the breakthrough!

Bipocni

Wow congratulations.  I tried these once just screwing around, and I couldn't even do one!  Well done.

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

Wow congratulations.  I tried these once just screwing around, and I couldn't even do one!  Well done.

Zach did a couple at seminar and made it look like nothing. I have... not found the same ^_^ the harder you work, the sweeter that feeling when you're counting off that last rep :)

Alessandro Mainente

NOt bad Jon, just to let you know how less confidence i have withendurance work for the core, i needed about 4 months to master the hollowbodyrock...then in 2 weeks i've completed F2 for FL.

Jon Douglas
alex87 said:

NOt bad Jon, just to let you know how less confidence i have withendurance work for the core, i needed about 4 months to master the hollowbodyrock...then in 2 weeks i've completed F2 for FL.

You are a machine Alex :D Keep training hard, because no matter how far ahead you are, I'm chasing you~~~ XD

Ravn
alex87 said:

NOt bad Jon, just to let you know how less confidence i have withendurance work for the core, i needed about 4 months to master the hollowbodyrock...then in 2 weeks i've completed F2 for FL.

Wow, Alex, that gives me a bit of hope. I've been (I am, really) seriously struggling with those HBR's. It's slowly getting better, but jeez, they're tough.

Alessandro Mainente

In respect to other movements with less repetitions i found that mini cycle is what really works (more then maintain the same template again again and again) when  endurance is the problem. after the 36 repetitions of HBR i wasn't able to respect the guideline of the template mastery, jump from 36 to 48?? a dream. and i don't want to talk about the jump from 48 to 4x60r. for both the ideal concept is use a mini cycle but be sure that  your are doing more volume compared to the previous week, no matter if 1-2-3 reps.

so if i need to master 4x60, instead of continue to do 4x60 (with no mastery) from week to week, is prefereable use a reduced template. if you cannot manage a jump of 12 reps, use 6 reps, or 3 reps. the progression will be linear and your hydrocosrtisone will be less  :D  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :D .

I'm kidding, BUT without spending to much words, the constant and close success in following little steps is better then a partial success for a bigger step. our brain works in a strange way sometime! 

Jon Douglas
Ravn said:

Wow, Alex, that gives me a bit of hope. I've been (I am, really) seriously struggling with those HBR's. It's slowly getting better, but jeez, they're tough.

I had exactly the same experience as Alex with RCPE6 like beating head against a wall for four solid months, then testing immediately through F2 RC in one session each (one microcycle repeated on the behind the neck to double-check my ROM). Of course Alex is far stronger than me, but it just goes to show how common it is to find and address that one weak link no matter what your level.

I think Adriano is about to do the same with planche work too :)

Ravn
alex87 said:

In respect to other movements with less repetitions i found that mini cycle is what really works (more then maintain the same template again again and again) when  endurance is the problem. after the 36 repetitions of HBR i wasn't able to respect the guideline of the template mastery, jump from 36 to 48?? a dream. and i don't want to talk about the jump from 48 to 4x60r. for both the ideal concept is use a mini cycle but be sure that  your are doing more volume compared to the previous week, no matter if 1-2-3 reps.

so if i need to master 4x60, instead of continue to do 4x60 (with no mastery) from week to week, is prefereable use a reduced template. if you cannot manage a jump of 12 reps, use 6 reps, or 3 reps. the progression will be linear and your hydrocosrtisone will be less  :D  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :D .

I'm kidding, BUT without spending to much words, the constant and close success in following little steps is better then a partial success for a bigger step. our brain works in a strange way sometime! 

Yes, I've already passed the intermediate goal of 4x54 secs, but I'm using too much rest. This next cycle I will focus on bringing rest down to mastery levels for 4x60. I suspect that that will take me longer than four weeks though.

MMarty

btw: Can I do Single Bar Inverted Hang (PE13) and Kip Extension (PE14) on rings instead of  bar? Is there some difference?

Joshua Slocum

I'd say it's probably fine. For the most part there is little difference between strength elements on bar and rings if your center of mass stays below your grip.

Jon Douglas
MMarty said:

btw: Can I do Single Bar Inverted Hang (PE13) and Kip Extension (PE14) on rings instead of  bar? Is there some difference?

I have to  disagree with Joshua here. Using rings here, to me, is equivalent to using a pullup bar for HLL instead of stall bars-- very very easy to inadvertently cheat. Using a bar forces you to hold a tight hollow around the bar and makes it much harder, because you have to compensate for the balance by holding the top few degrees of a front pull-- actvely working to hold it there, whereas on rings it's easy to swing to inverted hang and stay there until your grip gives out. This difference is magnified for the kip extensions-- that requirement to keep the legs in front of the body as you pike down.

Might not be much difference to people as strong as Joshua is, but to those working our way up, it's a significant one ;)

Alessandro Mainente

If you do not have access to a solid bar you can put a wood bar inside the rings and do a knot with the straps so that the wood bar is comparable to an ostacle for your body. always remember to grab the rings so that the wood bar is over the center of the hands.

What Jon said is true. as you move to inv hang on rings as the sensation to pull/push down becomes a simple hang from the rings.

MMarty

Thank you. I don't have solid bar, so I used to hang a wooden bar from the rings straps for pull-ups but I don't trust it for anything inverted, that's why I am asking. 

 

alex87: Thanks, it seems like a good idea to use the bar as a barrier. I'll give it a try.

LIE

For PE13 and PE 14 it is said that u should protract ur shoulder right?

Isn'it retract shoulder that we want for front lever?

This one i dont get at all, any idea?

Guest

I was wondering this as well. I still have a little while until I get there, but should we not retract to get used to the feeling of FL?

Coach Sommer

FL are not performed fully retracted.  Attempting to do so will greatly reduce the amount of muscle activation you can bring to bear on this skill.

 

Rather it is more of a 'widening' of the the scaps.  It is difficult to describe in writing, but essentially you will continue protracting only out to the point where the scapula are their widest point apart and then lock that position in; not allowing the scapula to move either forward or backward.  

 

This creates a large contracted shelf of muscle which you can use to lay back on and stabilize the body.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest

Cool! I read that somewhere, and completely agree, I just figured fully protracted wasn't optimal. Thanks Coach!