This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planche lean while greasing the groove with adv. tuck planche

Started by Shaolintobbe, November 24, 2013 · 6 Replies · 305 Views

Shaolintobbe

Hi!

 

I am on the planche lean progression, but i can hold the adv tuck planche a few seconds, is it ok to grease the groove with adv. and/or tuck planche at the same time just to strengthen the mind-body connection?

 

 

Jon Douglas

I think this is a bad idea. If you are not fully comfortable with planche leans then it's unlikely you are putting quality work into your advanced tuck planche, so you'll need to do them over again anyway with proper protraction etc. It seems to me like a better return on your effort (and faster in the medium- to long-term) to master pl leans first.

Sven Ravnstag

The benefits of extended time with planche leans are extensive and layered.  I don't know enough to say whether you'd benefit from adding in the adv tuck planche, but I'm comfortable asserting that there's probably more to be gained from dedicated planche lean training.  

MT Nordic

Got to concur on this one.  I was tempted to work my tuck planches as well because that's what i was doing when i started this foundations program, but i've given them up and i'm no worse off for it.  You feel like you may lose strength, but in this area it is not true.  The other day, just to check it out, I tried some tuck planches, and was able to do advanced tuck planche and hold it easily for 10 seconds.  I haven't trained this for 6 months.  The work you're doing on planche leans and PPP afterward will carry over...fear not!  

 

I would also spend quality time here and not just skate through it.  I skated through easily, did the appropriate reps, and then got stuck on SE1<iM.  I'm back doing more PPP now, and it is helping.  even though mastery is 5x5, that was not enough for me.  I'm doing 5x10 and it's helping me finally get the SE1<iM.  So my advice is take your time, push your limits on the lean, and you won't lose strength on the tuck planches.

Ravn
MT Nordic said:

 

I'm back doing more PPP now, and it is helping.  even though mastery is 5x5, that was not enough for me.  I'm doing 5x10 and it's helping me finally get the SE1<iM.  

Not sure this is what you mean, but mastery for PPP is 5x10?

MT Nordic

oops, sorry.  You're correct.  I was thinking...I'm not sure what I was thinking, actually!  What i meant was 5x10 mastery was not enough and i'm now doing 5x15 to try to get strength for SE1<iM.  Good catch.  

 

It's wierd that even though PPP is in the HBP sequence, it carries over to the sPL so nicely.  I'm finding (especially now that F3 and F4 are out), that it all ties together so nicely!  It's like it's all part of the same machinery and it's all interconnected.  Brilliant, I must say.

Bro&#39;

It doesn't carry over to direct sPL work, but it certainly carries over well to the iMs. And I agree, it's cool to see that it all ties together so nicely. You might get stuck somewhere, but another element is actually coming to save your ass, with the PE/SE or the iM.