This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form Checks etc

Started by KibboKift, November 22, 2013 · 12 Replies · 503 Views

KibboKift

The time has come to swallow my pride and ask anyone who is willing to give me some honest feedback to share their advice. Thanks to a recent filming session, the belief I have taken comfort in up to now - that I was doing everything right - has run aground. If anyone reading this hasn't tried filming themselves, I thoroughly recommend it. Working out next to a large mirror comes a close second.

 

Since this is my first post on the F1 forum, I'd like to say a huge thank you to all the regular contributors. In the six months since I started Foundation, I've found the posts on here a mine of information, not to mention reassurance; I've rarely even felt the need to ask a question (I'm not one of those who hasn't discovered the search function :)).

 

Any attempts at GST in the past have run up against my laughable mobility, though at the time I didn't realise that was the thing which was really holding me back. Happily, Foundation has already begun to have an impact, although I'm aware this is a big project. I seem to be beset with many of the classic maladies of the desk worker (I am a 32 year old Design Engineer), criminally tight hamstrings and pitiful thoracic mobility being the obvious examples.

 

So first request:

SPl/PE2

Please comment on my form:

post-2388-0-83853800-1385137307_thumb.pn

My back appears to be a bit more curved than the athlete in the course material, which concerns me. I don't think I am arching my lower back, but I'm willing to be contradicted.

Duff

Make sure you are protracting and depressing at the same time(protraction looks fine, but I'm not sure about retraction), keep the head position neutral(you seem to be arching your neck), otherwise, your form looks good to me :)

Daniel Burnham

Looks like there might be some piking at the hips your body doesn't quite look straight. It's pretty close though!

Coach Sommer

Scapula are insufficiently protracted. Notice that if you look closely you can see the edges of the scapula sticking up.

You are also curving the middle of the back too much and the upper back not enough.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

KibboKift

Thanks Coach! Exactly what I needed. I have plenty to work on there. I'll also try and eliminate piking and improve my head position. Improvement pics to follow...

KibboKift

post-2388-0-09033400-1385297559_thumb.pn

Is this any better? I spent a long time filming and re-checking yesterday. I've tried to reduce the curvature of my middle back and increase that of my upper back. The spine seems to be more of a J-shape now than a C-shape. Is that what I'm looking for?

 

Adriano Augusto

You're better, but still have pike hips. What I mean by that? This.

 

antve.jpg

 

You've to be more like middle pic. Like athlete's video:

 

2ch5qx3.jpgrwmole.jpg

KibboKift

Couldn't be any clearer! It's obvious I need to work on Posterior Pelvic Tilt to stop my glutes sticking up.

Also, I can see now that the athlete in the picture is protracting a lot more than me, even though I feel like I am at my limit. Some mobility issues to be addressed there then.

 

Gracias Adriano, por todos tus consejos. Tambien me da oportunidad de mejorar mi espanol en cuestion de anatomia :P

KibboKift

I was trying out my elbow plank again yesterday before beginning a new cycle this week. Since November I wasted a bit of time trying to get this right and then missed a couple of sessions over Christmas. In the new year I took a step back, focusing on scapular pushups and giving my hollow chance to improve through FL work. I think I see an improvement, but I'd be grateful for some feedback:

post-2388-0-13220200-1393847717_thumb.pn

KibboKift

Bump :)

Adriano Augusto

Definitely improved :D

LateStarter@46

Indeedy, a whole heap of protraction there now.

 

Now fix those cupboards  :icon_twisted:

KibboKift

Thank you both for the encouragement!

 

LateStarter you sound just like my wife - except for the bit about protraction ;)