This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

H1 as main workout?

Started by Joel Tomkins, November 21, 2013 · 8 Replies · 465 Views

Joel Tomkins

Is anyone doing H1 as their main program? I was doing H1 twice a week and some other strength work twice a week and lately I have been too busy to be able to consistently do either. If I cut out my my other work and just do H1 four times a week I think I'd progress faster and be more more likely to do it consistently.

What I'm not sure about is how adequate such a program would be. H1 seems to be more skill than strength work and I'd love to keep gaining strength and muscle. Obviously F1 is going to be a more comprehensive program but I am going to have to wait until life is less busy to start it alongside H1.

Jon Douglas

I ran the H1 course as a form of active recovery day, between my Foundation sessions, until I got used to the volume enough to do it on the same days.

 

No doubt you could still make good gains on doing it alone, but I personally would find myself pretty restless, at the beginning at least. Temporary alternative to the preferable doing of both H/F, to my view-- better than neither, not as good as both, but we do what we can as life does its thing.

IcedDante

I can't conceive of a world where just doing Handstand 1 was my only workout.

Joel Tomkins

I'd prefer to be doing more believe me! While 6 hours of sleep per night is becoming normal for me not only do I not have the time to do more but I don't have the energy either. Hopefully after Christmas I can get back into it properly.

 

I wonder how many people have only bought  H1 like me though. It kind of seemed like it was going to be a full program in its own right but now it seems like more of an add on to Foundation. No problems with that though. 

RJS

Remember, in Coach's book BtGB, he mentions how one of his students made excellent progress with only a few minutes a day training. I beleive the actual time is two minutes a day.

Murray Truelove

I was doing F1(7) three times a week and H1 twice a week. H1 by itself makes for a nice active recovery day but it never felt like a full workout. I was only on PE1 before I went back to doing a F1a-H1/F1b split though.

 

By the time you get to PE3 I imagine you could make a full routine of it; after stretching and wrist prehab you could do a full 5x60s of PE1 and 2 with both their IM's before going onto PE3 and as you go further into the course you mix up your routine to keep it interesting. 

 

If F1 didn't exist I would be very happy with H1 but would supplement it with some pushing/pulling exercises and the prerequisites from the "getting started".

Joshua Slocum

In the short run, you won't go wrong by doing H1 exclusively. Though be careful: you may find 4 times a week overloads your recovery abilities.

 

In the long run, you'll definitely want some other strength work in there to supplement.

Joel Tomkins
Joshua Slocum said:

In the short run, you won't go wrong by doing H1 exclusively. Though be careful: you may find 4 times a week overloads your recovery abilities.

 

In the long run, you'll definitely want some other strength work in there to supplement.

Yeah it's a good point - after last night's workout I was thinking I'm pushing my wrists pretty hard and maybe I should back off a little after having already overcooked my wrists twice this year. Surprisingly I have had no problems with my wrists since starting H1, even though I am now (at 5x48s of PE1) putting more pressure, for longer, on my wrists than I ever was training planche progressions. 

Micawberian

With all these small muscles that are being worked from wrist sequences and the mobility, I have found that H1 twice a week was the best programming. I also did H1 exclusively for sometime before integrating foundation. From release until June. Of course the workouts were indeed very short but I made ridiculous progress in my shoulder mobility and strength. I had also tried the 4 day schedule and it was pretty hard to recover from. It also led to very horrible injuries. So much so that I was stuck on PE6 for months on months just waiting for my wrists to heal for PE7.

So my advice would be definitely to reduce the work load if you feel you are pushing hard. The wrist work is just supposed to feel moderate. From experience, if you have even a little doubt of backing off the workload, then back off. Like Coach Sommer said (somewhere, maybe facebook), if you are smart enough to listen to your body, it will tell you what is enough.