My 12 year old cheerleader daughter recently attended a 4-hour stunt camp and focused on learning a back walkover. After successfully learning the back walkover that day she complained of pain in her hip. We treated with ice and Motrin for several days but the pain never completely went away even after two weeks. Last Tuesday at practice, while doing the back walkover she felt a "pop" and severe pain in her hip. The ER doctor said it was a strain and suggested ice and Motrin and rest for a week. The week has come and gone and she is still in pain. I didn't think to ask the doctor exactly what she strained so I'm not sure how to research what we should be doing to help her heal now and also prevent re-injury in the future. I'm looking for some advice.
Hip injury question
Started by spartyleigh, November 20, 2013 · 2 Replies · 4,628 Views
I can't help with any specifics (I don't know back walkovers at all) but do you know where specifically it hurts?
Can she differentiate between pain in the muscles, tendons, joints, bones ect? Is it located to the front, outside, back or inside of the hip, and is the pain on one side or both sides? Is the pain located towards the legs, or towards the torso?
Maybe if we can narrow down exactly where it hurts, we'll have a better idea of what we're dealing with.
Groin strains can be pretty slow to heal, and can be painful, but generally not serious. I suspect the ER doctor was a bit optimistic, and your daughter's idea of rest is as well.
Time is most likely going to be the best medicine, and avoiding walkovers for a while. If you can get your daughter to a sports therapist, you'd have your best chance at getting some answers and avoiding a more serious injury further down the road.