This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Manna, switching from MN/PE5 (1/2 hanging leg lift) to MN/PE6 (Negative hanging leg lift)

Started by Tyler Leonard_7317, November 20, 2013 · 15 Replies · 625 Views

Tyler Leonard_7317

Hello.

 

Changing from 1/2 leg lift to negative seems all but impossible to me.

 

I'm able to easily do the 1/2 hanging leg lift the prescribed number of times and while it's tiring for my abs I've completed the mastery as prescribed. 

 

Now the problem comes when I try to do the negative leg lifts, I literally cannot get my hips high enough to create the position found in the Foundation 1 video. My abs give out, not that they are being used and then suddenly they cannot hold, literally when I get to a certain height my abs feel like they aren't doing anything. 

 

It's hard to explain the feeling, but imagine if you tried to do a Planche while still working on Foundation 1 skills, you know that feeling when: yeah, you were trying but your arms gave out like you weren't doing anything? That. That's the feeling I have. 

 

Why does this happen? Am I doing something wrong?

Mark Collins

It took me 8 weeks to get one rep. Hang in there and just go as high as you can. I found the step up really hard as well. I can now do 4x3.

Tyler Leonard_7317
Mark Collins said:

It took me 8 weeks to get one rep. Hang in there and just go as high as you can. I found the step up really hard as well. I can now do 4x3.

Really you too? So what did you do just kept repeating the first week until you were able to do it? 

Cole Dano

You just have to be patient, this is one of those steps that many won't get the first time.

 

Since it's a negative it is ok to use plenty of momentum to get up, tuck deep, snappy roll up, straighten the legs and slowly lower.

Joshua Slocum
Cole Dano said:

Since it's a negative it is ok to use plenty of momentum to get up, tuck deep, snappy roll up, straighten the legs and slowly lower.

Exactly. What matters is the negative. When you're first learning the movement, do whatever it takes to get up; it's the descent where you have to be strict with form. 

Ravn

My problem with this one is that when my feet arrive at the top, my arms have gone slightly bent, meaning that I'm engaging my lats like crazy to complete a rep, and that is obviously bad form.

Mark Collins
Tyler Leonard_7317 said:

Really you too? So what did you do just kept repeating the first week until you were able to do it?

I went through the first 4 weeks increasing the reps then went back to week one.

Cole Dano said:

You just have to be patient, this is one of those steps that many won't get the first time.

 

Since it's a negative it is ok to use plenty of momentum to get up, tuck deep, snappy roll up, straighten the legs and slowly lower.

I have been moving too slow with the positive. Thanks for the tip.

Tyler Leonard_7317

Ah okay, thank you. Yes I will try.

 

So kipping myself up is okay, then I will start that. Now my question on top of that, if I kip myself up and say around week 5 I feel very strong, should I go back to week 1 and do them strict and slow with my new strength (assuming I could now lift my body up)?

Bro'

I don't think you really need to do that. Lifting yourself up is for the next PE.

Keilani Gutierrez
Tyler Leonard_7317 said:

Ah okay, thank you. Yes I will try.

 

So kipping myself up is okay, then I will start that. Now my question on top of that, if I kip myself up and say around week 5 I feel very strong, should I go back to week 1 and do them strict and slow with my new strength (assuming I could now lift my body up)?

you could probably do those "tests" on your deloads to see how close you are to start working HLL. 1 rep video tests can suffice or 2 reps(to simulate 3x1 or 4x2)

IcedDante

OP- how have you progressed here?

Alessandro Mainente

For the most average of people this difficulty is due to lack of shoulders flexion, another motivation to practice both f1 and h1. My personal preference is perform the hll negative with an intermediate step. Take a wood bench then put it on the stall at so that it has an inclination around 45/60 degrees in respect to the stall at and that the bench is exactly behind your shoulders. Learning progressively how to curl with abs is necessary if you lack on both strength and flexibility.

MT Nordic

In my case I've had challenges here entirely related to flexibility. It seems you almost need a full pike to get the feet to the bar. So I'm doing a lot of pike stretching and keep doing the negatives as far as I can. I've gotten to where my feet get up within about 4 inches of bar now. I'm doing 5x5 negatives to keep the strength progressing. Each week I get a little closer. I've been doing this for 2 months, so hopefully in another 4-6 wks I'll be able to have the full ROM.

Mark Collins

This exercise also has a lot of time under tension with 5x10 seconds. It looks like once this is mastered the next exercise should not be too hard. I have been on this 6 months and need to repeat the mid cycle. Although it is hard, I love this exercise because it feels so beneficial for me.

This exercise exposed my lack of pike mobility, which I have worked hard to improve.

strme

Its true. Next Pe you will feel flying over stall bars ;)

Tyler Leonard_7317

I found that I had the strength to hold the 10 seconds down but no strength to get myself up there, and the use of momentum wasn't building me any muscle in the pulling up motion. So I stopped working it and worked body levers again, this time focusing on lifting with the lower abs and hips as opposed to the arms holding whatever I may be holding onto behind me. This helped tremendously and I've since been able to work these. I haven't moved on yet as I've been trying to emulate the video as close as possible (which I know isn't always required to be spot on but it's a personal thing I require for myself) but I have had improvements yes.