This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Getting (re)Started

Started by aiken54, November 19, 2013 · 4 Replies · 227 Views

aiken54

I have been horrible with my workouts. My tricking has been very consistent (at least 3-4 days per week in the gym where I now work), but my Foundation and Handstand work has been... lets just say nonexistent. I've done a workout here and there, but the consistency and discipline just isn't there yet. I have lost lots of strength in my hiatus. It's been retained in areas that I really enjoy like crocodile switches and handstands (some presses), but has been slacking pretty much everywhere else. I have been deadlifting and squatting to get my lower body conditioned to tumble. So here is where my questions come in:

 

For the Foundation and Handstand work: Does anyone have any strategies to not get bored? I find it demoralizing to see everything I am going to do for the next year or two, broken down into sets and reps. Should I just customize my workout and go with it, not looking at all ahead? 

 

For the question that I am pretty sure I know what the answer is: Can I cease my deadlifting and squatting and gain as much or more leg strength with the Foundation work? Even the early progressions. I'm only squatting BW (155) if that matters.

 

And one last thing: What are some ideas for how to train hand balancing? H1 is awesome, however I would like to continue my work on crocodiles, QDR, and the airbaby. If anyone's got some nice drills for these, especially the last two, that would be really appreciated. I presume I would do them after my H1. 

 

Thanks in advance, train hard.

 

RJS
aiken54 said:

For the Foundation and Handstand work: Does anyone have any strategies to not get bored? I find it demoralizing to see everything I am going to do for the next year or two, broken down into sets and reps. Should I just customize my workout and go with it, not looking at all ahead?

To this i would say, one of my brothers recently reminded me of how great things are accomplished by thousands of repetitive tasks. Same practice over and over again to reach the goal your striving for, the bigger the goal, usually means bigger the sacrifice.

Yes, for sure if your goal is to complete F and H, than press on good sir. In my exercise experience though, since the goal is at the end, enjoying the path getting there would be wise.

Also music helps.

Jon Douglas

Generally I have a look at what I would achieve in a year if I didn't do the work. It tends to shut me up and get me putting in my daily grain of sand :)

And/or pushing to see how quickly I can master a year's worth of workouts.

Murray Truelove

The thought of doing a straddle planche is motivation enough to keep me from perusing any other sort of training BUT what keeps me training day-to-day is how good it feels to be more mobile - no more shoulder pain when reaching for things off shelves, back ache from a day sat at the computer, my ankles and hips can move in ways they haven't for years and all of this has crossed over into other areas of my life; I'm more comfortable sitting at the piano and I climb better.

 

Progress feels so sweet - moving on from my first PE after weeks (about 25!) was awesome. I love having everything laid out so I can see where I'll be in a year.