For those of you not familiar with a CKD (Cyclical Ketosis Diet) there is an excellent link here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=36497
TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet) is essentially a no carb diet with the exception of pre/post workout carbs. These are meant strictly to fill muscle glycogen stores and do not kick the body out of ketosis.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had ever had any luck with a diet like this along side of gymnastics training. I know that in my former experience as a weights/cardio guy I had a lot of fun on a high fat/no carb diet. The biggest difference was that workouts had to be short and intense. The capacity to workout hard with a lot of weights was severely diminished towards the end of the week before the carb up. That being said I felt like I could run forever when my body becomes fat adapted...no sprints though
Essentially this diet is supposed to be 65%fat 35%protein 5%carbs...carbs under 20g-30g a day and should be all trace carbs/leafy green high fiber veggies (I eat a ton of asparagus and spinach)
Now that I am ring training I have to say that my initial reaction to this diet is that I am suddenly 10lbs lighter (almost all water weight initially) and everything seems to be slightly easier. Energy levels are pretty consistent (my favorite thing about this diet because I am often practicing drums/preparing to tour for 4-8 hours a day, and can do just fine without eating for prolonged periods of time) My intention with this diet is to cut a lot of the excess weight that I have been carrying around. Trying to "put on size" in the weight room has always seemed to be an empty goal and I now regret most of the work I've put in trying to do that. I'm trying to become more efficient, and increase my strength/weight ratio. I feel that a CKD would be a good way to do it as I find it easy to keep or even increase strength even when "cutting" (albeit slowly) on a CKD along side of shedding the extra stuff.
I was wondering if anyone else on this forum had toyed around with a ketogenic diet. I haven't seemed to see anything about it on the boards here. Any thoughts, or feedback?? negative or positive ![]()