Gymnastic equipment replacement

Started by Systemic, November 19, 2013 · 7 Replies · 2,898 Views

Systemic

Hello all! I have recently left my country to study abroad. I am currently in Brighton, UK.

 

I enrolled myself in the university gym (it's free for dorm students) but the thing is, there are no gymnastics equipment even though the gym is huge. I searched around Brighton but couldn't find any Gymnastics clubs that are open to use. It's either 1 lesson a week or for children.

 

So my question is, do I merely train with bodyweight exercises on a pull up bar and floor? Or do I add some kind of weight exercises?

 

Also, if anyone knows a place in Brighton where I COULD enrol myself to use gymnastic equipments that'd be great.

Bipocni

Buy some rings.

Jason Dupree

Also, what exercises/ skills are you hoping to do? Rings and floor covers a lot of it, but you can improvise on many things!

Systemic
Bipocni said:

Buy some rings.

 

Most likely, but the gym management is crap. I cannot use the studio rooms (which have fitted mats, so I can do some floor routines) without an instructor and no instructor there teaches gymnastics. So I pretty much doubt they'll allow me to get my own rings to the gym. Worth a try though.

JasonDupree said:

Also, what exercises/ skills are you hoping to do? Rings and floor covers a lot of it, but you can improvise on many things!

Mostly interested in statics (if that makes sense? Nearly all the movements are static). Iron cross, planche, maltese (it will obviously take years but that's what I am *hoping* to do), different types of mounts (butterfly mount, etc). But I also want to do Cross pull outs and such non-static exercises. So it is a mix that I am hoping for really. Planche is probably the most floor skill I want to achieve, Manna being the second. I also want to do floor routines but all I have is grass . It is rainy here so on some days I cannot.

Rayne-William

Look around at the local playgrounds for things that you can use for your routine.

Systemic
GoldenEagle said:

Look around at the local playgrounds for things that you can use for your routine.

I found parks but none have such equipments.

Jason Dupree

Hang rings from pull up bars, smith machines, swing sets, trees, etc. Your gym may have a dip station, which can be handy. A bench can be useful for some things too, and weights can be very useful for certain mobility exercises. That's really all you could get out of a university gym I bet. Mine is useless as well! We actually have a gymnastics room, with walls covered in rock climbing and no gymnastic equipment...

Bipocni

Yeah my backyard is my gym.  I have a coffee table and an A frame from a porch swing that I use for my Foundation work.  When I feel like doing pullups, I have a tree out the front I can hang rings from.  I get a few funny looks from people driving past, but I don't really care.