This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Managing intensity

Started by xray, November 18, 2013 · 13 Replies · 575 Views

xray

I have been motivated with F3/F4 coming out and I find that I have been approaching failure in many of my sets in the quest for mastery.

Coach has said to focus on maximal contraction versus training to failure.

Do you all find that stopping after perfect form is lost prevents training to actual muscular failure?

Any strategies of how to push on the 60 rep sets without going to failure?

Guest

if you can maintain proper form for the entire 60 reps, then you did not go to failure. If you can't do it without failing, go back a microcycle.

Jason Dupree

If form or tempo changes, failure is very close. The only way to push is to build the capacity to do so without going to failure by building endurance. Resting only as long as the iM takes is crucial to build that endurance.

xray

When doing the elements, eg front lever, are people maximally contracting the involved muscles or just contracting enough to hold the position? I would have thought the latter, but many of the cues related to straddle ups, planche leans describe contracting the arms through the glutes and even the toes...

Jason Dupree

Yes, always maximally contract, at least until you can do it in your sleep but I'm pretty sure something like a Planche is impossible without max contraction! Its the best way to build the strength you need in any case

RJS

Would it be correct to say that maximal contraction during an exercise would be squeezing and flexing every muscle you can think of?

Jason Dupree

I took it to mean squeezing the muscles used as hard as you can. Squeezing every muscle isn't necessary in like a push up, but in a planche push up, I'm sure it is(though I can't say first hand). I would be curious to see how much difference squeezing every muscle during a push up would make.

ausswe

The problem I find with contracting as hard as I can is that I don't progress the reps or hold times. I get stronger sure but as I'm getting stronger I'm contracting harder therefor not going anywhere. I find it best to aim for perfect form at first it may be maximal contraction but the point is eventually the position should be perfect and more comfortable for you.

dritar

I think what you want ideally is to contract as hard as you need to mantain a good position. No more, no less.

 

It's probably better to err on the side on more, but one of the points of having the initial positions having mastery criteria of 5x60s is to not only build endurance but also to teach the body to hold the form efficiently.

ausswe

My thoughts exactly. Now I'd only I could have worded it as well as you did..... Well put!

Bipocni
JasonDupree said:

I would be curious to see how much difference squeezing every muscle during a push up would make.

You get tired and can't do as many pushups.

 

 

ausswe said:

The problem I find with contracting as hard as I can is that I don't progress the reps or hold times. I get stronger sure but as I'm getting stronger I'm contracting harder therefor not going anywhere.

Bingo.

 

 

dritar said:

I think what you want ideally is to contract as hard as you need to mantain a good position. No more, no less.

Nailed it.

 

One of the hallmarks of a great athlete is that they can relax while still exerting themselves at maximum intensity.  Watch a sprinter in slow motion sometime, you'll see that they relax completely between every step.  The trick, as far as I can see, is only contracting the muscles that you need to contract.  Admittedly, these are full body exercises so it can be tricky....

 

Contracting everything is probably necessary for some exercises, but when I'm feeling heavy shoulder contraction during MN/PE1 I know I'm making a mistake somewhere...

Jon Douglas

I disagree. Balance the need for efficiency against the need that many of us beginning as adults have to re-educate and co-ordinate muscles for particular patterns. Look at how squeezing the glutes (which are barely if at all involved in a correct hollow hold) can help with learning correct PPT. Or the long process of learning to activate lats, serratus, and scapula in assorted shoulder articulations.

 

You are better off erring towards more tension than you need until you have a given technique down pat, IME. You don't need to fight yourself, but there is not a whole lot of isolation going on here and as you progress there really shouldn't be too much slack in your body. Of course the goal is to engage, not to pointlessly tense, but often that's a necessary step in learning where those muscles are and getting them into the game. Call it gross effort until you can dial in on doing only what's required to put out the reps. Relax at the end of the set.

Coach Sommer

As Jon mentioned, beginners will need to err on the side of caution by maximally contracting everything at first. With experience they will then gradually learn what needs to be maximally contracted and what does not. However it is not possible to gain that experience without first spending some time in the trenches.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Boris Mikael Taube

yes i found this out lately.to have a straight body (hollow) and that is in most of the excercises you have to squeze the glutes and contract abs. is better to learn in the begining. when im tired i sometime remember but i try to burn this in to my mind now :P