The video shows that the athlete lifted his glutes a bit when his knees goes into internal rotation. The notes says keep the glutes on the ground at all times.
Do I listen to the notes or the video?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Alan Tseng, November 18, 2013 · 19 Replies · 1,020 Views
The video shows that the athlete lifted his glutes a bit when his knees goes into internal rotation. The notes says keep the glutes on the ground at all times.
Do I listen to the notes or the video?
Notes.
Is there a video anywhere of someone who demonstrated mastery on the swivel hips based on the notes
Hmms said:Is there a video anyone of someone who demonstrated mastery on the swivel hips based on the notes
I'm curious about that too.
The main idea behind the not lifting your glutes note is that many trainees with poor hip mobility will seriously cheat this move by lifting one side way up until the knee touches. This will not help hip mobility at all. It is normal for there to be some unweighting but the primary movement is in the hip sockets, not the lumbar spine.
I think the best cue is "keep at least some of both glutes on the ground".
Your butt is not going to be completely stationary. When your legs are centred in starting position, you are sitting right on the ischial tuberosity - the butt bone. When you swivel your legs to the side, the weight rolls off the bone towards the intergluteal cleft (a nice way to say buttcrack). It's the fleshy part of the glute just below the outer edges of the sacrum. It won't feel like you're sitting on your butt, but there is still glute touching the ground.
I focus on keeping my obliques solid and still to avoid twisting the lower back; which keeps my glutes firmly on the ground. As I swivel, I focus the push very deep where the thighbone means the hipbone - to take the stress away from the knee.
wheezer said:As I swivel, I focus the push very deep where the thighbone means the hipbone - to take the stress away from the knee.
That's a very good cue, I noticed that based on how I pushed down, sometimes my knees would feel a bit of a strain and sometimes not. Now I actually know what I have to do to avoid that strain!
Bro said:That's a very good cue, I noticed that based on how I pushed down, sometimes my knees would feel a bit of a strain and sometimes not. Now I actually know what I have to do to avoid that strain!
Yeah, thanks, good tip.
Aside from the glutes coming only slightly off the floor, what else is needed for mastery - the video shows the athlete's knees don't hit the ground - how far does each one have to go in the ROM to attain mastery?
wheezer said:the weight rolls off the bone towards the intergluteal cleft (a nice way to say buttcrack).
I Lol'ed. Thanks for the detailed summary- a lot of things to think about next time I try it.
Heuristic said:how far does each one have to go in the ROM to attain mastery?
I would aim to get both knees and both glutes touching the ground. The athlete in the video is within an inch of this. Any ROM you don't attain now will make the upcoming straddle work more difficult than it needs to be.
Focus on pushing the rotation from the hips, and pushing the inside of your foot down through the floor. This will minimize stress on the knee. You should feel a stretch deep in the lower hip, just below the glute.
On a side note, once you can master the swivel hips, doing a set of them between sPL/PE2 and PE2<iM really cements the movement into place. ie. Forearm Plank, then Swivel Hips, then Straddle Running Man. I find this feels sooo soo good for my glutes.
wheezer said:I would aim to get both knees and both glutes touching the ground. The athlete in the video is within an inch of this. Any ROM you don't attain now will make the upcoming straddle work more difficult than it needs to be.
Focus on pushing the rotation from the hips, and pushing the inside of your foot down through the floor. This will minimize stress on the knee. You should feel a stretch deep in the lower hip, just below the glute.
On a side note, once you can master the swivel hips, doing a set of them between sPL/PE2 and PE2<iM really cements the movement into place. ie. Forearm Plank, then Swivel Hips, then Straddle Running Man. I find this feels sooo soo good for my glutes.
Oh, you're gonna 'love' F2 splim ![]()
I can only imagine. :|
What I don't get is why we need this much hip internal rotation to do a straddle planche. I do anything coach has prescribed with vigor and motivation, sometimes I just wonder why on certain things.
The best answer I can come up with on my own is that this happens to be the best place to put this mobility exercise, and it's not necessarily going to help our straddle planche, but it is necessary in the grand scheme of mobility that we are doing.
Gotta say though, I have become somewhat obsessed with swivel hips and I'm loving the progress that I have made in them because of it. When I first started, touching my knee to the ground seemed like am impossible goal, but now I see a light at the end of the tunnel.
- sPL Integrated Mobility focuses on the development of medial glute and hip strength.
What mobility exercises would help to loosen my hips?
Check out mobilityWOD or Kit Laughlin mobility stuff
I have excellent ROM in the swivel hips. However, on one side I do get some crunching sounds. Someone posted the Kit Laughlin piriformis vid and I have been doing that a couple times a week and it's helped tremendously. The crunching sound is almost gone.
Edited to add that I just got word that my Kit Laughlin materials just shipped. Woot!
Thanks for the help guys and girls:)