This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist Rock Completed

Started by Oliver Harris, November 18, 2013 · 5 Replies · 268 Views

Oliver Harris

Hey guys, 

 

This week I completed mastery for the wrist rock exercises, does anyone have any idea of what comes next? With the other three wrist Prehab exercises I'd imagine it would involve the wrist movements without the press up, so as to remove the assistance given by momentum. However, as with the wrist rock the arms are already straight this wouldn't work. Maybe elevated wrist rocks?

 

Thanks for your suggestions

ausswe

I'd go with elevated and build up until you could do them in a handstand position against the wall. Obviously build up slowly and progress as you have been so far

Jon Douglas

I'm working them with (nearly) straight arms. There was one guy at the seminar who could do it perfectly; I'm a bit away but getting there. This is obviously a long-term project.

Oliver Harris
Jon Douglas said:

I'm working them with (nearly) straight arms. There was one guy at the seminar who could do it perfectly; I'm a bit away but getting there. This is obviously a long-term project.

When you rock backwards with straight arms, with your thumb at its furthest from the ground, what's your range of motion like? Mine is quite small unless I bend at the elbow but it doesn't cause discomfort. Should I work on this?

Jon Douglas

It's not jawdropping, but it's improving. I just try to use the absolute minimum bend required to get the fists straight up and down, and get a good stretch without pushing into or through any major discomfort.

I don't know exactly what perfect flexibility in the wrists is -- not sure whether it's very trainable or whether people have big individual differences. I am definitely improving at it, but whether I'll ever be able to do the locked arms and 90 degrees each way at the wrist thing...? Don't know for sure whether it's possible or desirable. Maybe someone with more knowledge of that would be so good as to chime in. As I mentioned one guy at the seminar could do it perfectly, but I don't know how his wrist flexibility is generally, whether he had that whole loose ligament thing going on, or whether he was born with/developed it.

 

The alternative to working on this (flexibility) is working up to a wall/spotted HS (str). Obviously there is no point trying to develop strength with insufficient ROM in an easier variation. I just tried them in HS out of curiosity and it's really not too bad, but I don't think I have as much ROM as I do with the pushup position. Figuring out what is sufficient to benefit from this.... that is where the whole pro trainer thing comes in. It'd be interesting to hear more on that from Coach and the guys around here who do pommel horse.

 

Hmm, you've got me thinking now. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a more serious look at this wrist series in HS... very carefully... and see whether it changes my mind. As always, ambitious but patient ;)

Oliver Harris

Sounds good, I think following my deload I'll experiment with the straight arm and elevation, I'm sure the latter will work and I'm intrigued by the former