I just injured my bicep femoris, advice?

Started by irongymnast, November 16, 2013 · 6 Replies · 2,628 Views

irongymnast

I just injured my leg's bicep femoris and possibly the semitendinosus muscle as well.

To provide context, I did a really stupid thing. I jumped in the air and tried to land in a chinese split. Without putting my hands on the floor of course, it had to be all legs (yes, I know). 

On the moment of impact it made a muscle "crack" and had sharp pain in that spot. 

Now I'm still warm and it hurts a bit when I'm walking but I'm afraid on what is going to happen next.

 

Can I do anything to alleviate the damage? Except from resting.

DiTi

ill give you a advice:dont try stupid things and you will be ok

Rayne-William

To reduce swelling: Ice pack

To help blood circulation: warm towel

 

Depending on severity of injury, it could take a few days up to a week or two to heal.

 

Take it really easy when doing your exercises.

irongymnast

It didn't swell but it hurts. I have difficulty in walking and I can't sit properly as one of the pain "anchor points" is the gluteus maximus.

Would warm towels help with recovery (already one day past the incident)?

 

I'm rooting for 2-3 weeks, unfortunately.

Rayne-William

As I have previously posted.....Warm towels will help with recovery. They loosen the muscles and increase blood flow to the injured area.

Micawberian

You should probably visit a doctor...

Jon Douglas
Biren P. said:

You should probably visit a doctor...

This is best.

I'm assuming that you've pulled your hamstring on the glute end. Since all advice here starts with an assumption, you are obviously doing yourself a favour by finding out for sure :)

Otherwise, recommend sitting on an ice pack for 10-15 minutes at a pop (wear pants, because yep). In a few weeks when the healing is well underway start some light curls to rehab it-- erring heavily on the side of caution with intensity and reps. Might take a couple months to feel 100% again, but slower and building it up is better than making it worse by getting ambitious.

And yeah, work up to jumps like that :)