This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Help with planche leans (form check)
Started by Destiny, November 15, 2013 · 7 Replies · 297 Views
It looks like your back is a bit too rounded. Its been said that really rounding your back is supposed to help, and I don't think that's necessarily correct. It should be slightly rounded, but not so much that your lower back is arching. Too much roundness will also cause you to lose scapular depression, which will take the pecs out of the movement and place the emphasis on the shoulders and clavicle. And that hurts. When you do this make sure you feel it in your pecs more than shoulders. That helped me at least.
Ya you're right I definitely feel it more in the shoulders. THanks
OK I tried fixing the super hunched back, what should I focus on next?
I recorded 2 angles at the end of my workout so I'm pretty tired. Please excuse the dirty shorts haha
One thing I noticed is my feet get more upright as I lean forward. I think I should have stopped at :14 seconds. I'll try a towel on my kitchen floor for less friction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tSJslvhRR8&
I think I need to hollow more for the second one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYdPT-6lJbw&
Thanks for helping
I think a hollow will help. What made it click for me was really looking at the back of the athlete in the regular plank hold. You will notice that most of the curve happens above the middle back, and the lower back is hollow and relatively straight. I think as long as you don't arch and you don't pike hips its fine. But I would say really get the plank positioning down, then all you have to do is slide forward.
I dunno man this lean looks pretty solid to me.
I think that we are being slightly too perfectionists on the exercises, I mean there are still so many more PE's/SE's to be done, surely the sPL will be achieved eventually ?
Also it seems like it takes 20% effort to get 80% of the work done and another 80% effort for the remaining 20% (hope that makes sense
)
Maybe 80% is enough for us, we are not going to the Olympics anyway
^ this is true as well. I gave the advise I did for two reasons. One is that too much rounding caused me pain due to improper form and support, however everyone's body is different. The other is that I am a perfectionist, sometimes to my own detriment. But several times I have reached a point in a later PE and realized, crap, I can't do this correctly because my foundation is only 80% correct, and I have to go back for the other 20%. That happened with this particular element. The more solid your foundation is, the better the end goal will be and the faster it will be achieved. For the OP, maybe that form is perfect for you, our bodies are different, I can't reach the impressive level of spinal mobility you have lol. As long as you reach the end goal, you've reached the goal!
Destiny, you want to increase the lean but your form changes because of that. You're not prepare to increase it yet.
Because you aren't prepare, you use your foot to resist the lean, but you should not move your foot at all. And therefore, you sunk a little bit your scapula.
Also, you're not hollow, you have your upper back so rounded. A common issue with planche leans is believe that "Hollow" is "rounding" all that I can the back, sometimes a lot, compromising the rest of the body. And it's not like that. Hollow in planche leans is use your upper back (traps) by pushing the floor with arms, keeping a protracted and depressed scapula and not just redirect the back to the ceiling. You've to think in "spread" your wings (scapula) and not hunchingback.
Hollow means also to keep body tension along the whole body (abs, glutes, legs, toes, etc).
You're in progress, keep patience ![]()
Coach wouldn't agree with you VegVeg, I guarantee you. We are training like gymnasts, we're following a GST program with all that it takes; and we can't forget about the fact that... this is a FOUNDATION, and has to be perfect and solid. No flaws.