Breakthrough!

Started by Cody, November 15, 2013 · 6 Replies · 3,064 Views

Cody

So, I've been on this site for a while now. I've known the proper way to train static holds, but I never did it. The main reason was that I always thought it was too much of a hassle to time my holds.

I've been stuck on tuck planche and advanced tuck front lever for WAY too long. (Longer than 6 months) I had no idea what the problem was. I tried max holds, I tried easier variations, and I also tried working on harder progressions. However, none of that worked. I was always stuck at 10-12 seconds and I couldn't ever move on to harder holds.

After hearing about the 60s template again from Yaad, I decided to suck it up and start timing my holds. For the past two weeks I have been working on 10x6s holds for both Tuck PL and Adv. Tuck FL about 4-5 times a week.

Today, I tested my max time again.

Tuck Planche - 25s
Advanced Tuck FL - 26s

A 100% increase in my static hold times in only 2 weeks! Also, I've messed around with the next progression a little bit. I can hold Adv. Tuck PL for a couple seconds, Straddle FL for about 6-7 seconds, and almost a full FL! I've progressed so much in these past 2 weeks I almost can't believe it. All this time, I was stuck because I was too lazy to follow the FSP training template correctly.

Now, on to 5x12s!

Long story short, 1/2 max holds and 60s total volume works like magic. :)

 

Bipocni
Cody said:

Long story short, 1/2 max holds and 60s total volume works like magic. :)

Yeah, there's a reason Coach put it in BtGB.....

Cody
Bipocni said:

Yeah, there's a reason Coach put it in BtGB.....

I can't believe I wasted so much time.. :(

Coach Sommer
Cody said:

I can't believe I wasted so much time.. :(

Me neither. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

red1392

That's awesome. Congrats! Curious - how long were your rest times between sets? Your situation sounds very similar to my own (trouble going beyond 12-15s)

Cody
red1392 said:

That's awesome. Congrats! Curious - how long were your rest times between sets? Your situation sounds very similar to my own (trouble going beyond 12-15s)

I'd say around 1-2 minutes. I didn't really count the rest periods, I just did another set as soon as I felt ready.

Yaad Mohammad

Good share! More people should read this.