This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Increasing rest times between sets to help progress (for static holds)

Started by el_cap, November 15, 2013 · 5 Replies · 199 Views

el_cap

Would temporarily increasing the rest time between sets and then gradually decreasing it to just the length of the iM be an effective method of progressing?

 

For example, ABH: I can do 4x36 with good rom if I rest for a minute after each iM. But without the extra rest I'll start losing rom after set two (and set four will be abysmal).

 

Or perhaps I should decrease the hold time and work to a strict 4x30, and then 4x36?

 

Cheers!

Vincearoo

I prefer the latter option, personally. It seems to be the more simple option.

Jason Dupree

I personally have seen better results by decreasing the hold time slightly (say, 4x24) and decreasing the rest interval. So instead of 4x36 with 40-60 seconds of rest, I would do 4x24, 30, or whatever you can hold with good form, and cut rest to 30 seconds. or less, if that is your normal rest. This will allow you to continue to build endurance while staying at a time that can be held with perfect form.

el_cap

Ok, I'll decrease the hold time instead.

Thank you.

Keegan Y

Don't think that increasing the rest times is really going to do you much benefit in the long run. What is holding you back is a lack of muscular endurance. Giving yourself more rest is really just masking the problem.

I would drop down a micro cycle and be very strict about only resting as long as it takes to complete the IM between sets (no, "couple breaths to catch your wind" or anything, try to think of it as one long set and move from exercise to IM back to exercise as quickly as possible).

Only move on when you can do this with correct tempo (no grinding reps/loss of ROM/shaking) and absolutely no additional rest.

m6shifter

if 36 secs is to tough I see no problem w/30x4 I did the same thing w/ABR and HBR.. You will just have go through more weeks of work..