This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My warmup/stretching routine

Started by mlaen, November 14, 2013 · 4 Replies · 215 Views

mlaen

You guys mind commenting my warmup and stretching routine? Flexibility is a bit problem so I spend stretching 1h 5-6 days/week... After a lot of reading and youtube videos this is what I come up so far:

 

Warmup:
1. Thoratic spine mobility: tennis balls, foam roller, cobra stretch
2. Ankle mobility (outside, straight, inside)
3. Split squats
4. Lateral squats
5. Rotational squat
6. Deep squat hip openers
7. Leg swings (front, side, knee up)
8. Shoulder wall extension
 
 
Stretching routine:
1. Myofascial release (piriformis, gluteus med/min, tensor fasciae latae, it bands, hamstrings, calves)
2. Hip mobility (frog, groiners, internal rotation)
3. Neck (front, back, sides)
4. Lying rotation (no partner)
5. Quads & calves
6. Piriformis
7. Hamstrings
8. Splits
9. Hip flexors
10. Shoulder dislocates
 
I recently incorporated myofascial releases and I could spent the whole day just on those how stiff I am. Should I be doing them before the main workout or after? Before the stretching or after?
Any improvements to this routine - my main concerns are hamstrings, glutes and hips - still can't sit down on the floor with my back straight (https://6z1gtynqfxcjjwix.public.blob.vercel-storage.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_66/gallery_7144_66_479634.jpg)
I've been doing this routine for a few weeks, but that is too soon for me to tell any progress...
Bipocni

Rotational squat?

mlaen

I can post entire T-nation article on mobility when I find it again

Keegan Y

The warm-up looks pretty good; whether you should add anything or subtract anything is going to depend on your individual strengths and weaknesses (from a mobility standpoint). IMO though, Cobra stretches aren't all that great for Thoracic mobility. You'd be better doing something like Quadreped T Spine rotations, or overhead elbows bent kneeling shoulder flexions (honestly don't know of the proper name for these and am on phone so can't post link).

In regards to your flexibility routine, my suggestion is to purchase Kit Laughlin's book Stretching & Flexibility and following his lesson plan. It will provide far superior results than what you are currently doing.

mlaen

Thanks Keegan, Quadreped T Spine rotations is a great tip! Is this the other exercise you mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkmEXAN_D5Q?

With current shipping costs to Croatia, Kits book is out of my legue. I'm still hoping that online vwerion will be published someday, until then I'm limited to the information I find on this forum and rest of the web...