- When people do a standing vertical jump, it's generally between a hip width stance (iliac crest of the hips, the middle of the knees, and the middle of the ankles roughly inline with each other) and a shoulder-width stance.
- Heavy weighted squats have a good carry-over to vertical jump ability.
Now my question is, do squats have an EVEN BETTER carry-over to vertical jump ability if they're done with a hip-width to shoulder-width stance? Or, are they still better to do wider? Squats already can't be super specific to a vertical jump because the weight on the bar isn't evenly distributed on your body like your own body weight is when you vertical jump. Powerlifters do a wider stance. This article also suggests a wider stance is more beneficial to training. http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2013/01/28/squat-stance-width/
An idea I had is instead of using a bar to do squats, getting a weight suit would have even better carry-over to vertical jump since the weight would be more evenly distributed on your body, more specific. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mZ9xte0AL._SY300_.jpg I'm not aware of any body suits that can handle 250+ pounds though. :-/
Any thoughts on this topic? I got back into weight-lifting this year (basically just squats and deadlifts) and would like my training to have good carry-over to gymnastics and mma.