This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

ABH - Form check and how to increase ROM

Started by Gehan Gonsalkorale, November 14, 2013 · 5 Replies · 313 Views

Gehan Gonsalkorale

Hi guys,

 

I can't seem to progress on this exercise really - it's feels like my lower back is really weak and my hip flexors are quite tight - is that how it appears on this video? Perhaps also my upper back isn't that flexible?

 

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/dvnyu6dqxhn3s14/RZSRSroNIq

 

I used to do weights a fair bit and so I have some now quite non-functional muscle mass weighing me down, especially on my legs. I assume this doesn't help!

 

Any advice would be much appreciated, such as how much higher should my legs be?

 

Thanks!!

Gehan

Jason Dupree

ABH is pretty hard. You are right, your legs need to be higher and you need a bigger arch in the back. Stretching of course will help! I would think your lower back is plenty strong for this move. Instead of trying to lift with the lower back, activate your whole posterior chain. Your whole body should be working here, every muscle from your neck to your toes should be working to get your body UP. Don't over think it, compare yourself to the video in the course, get flexible, and amp yourself up as if this was a heavy dead lift.

And keep your feet together, they looked slightly apart but I couldn't tell

Gehan Gonsalkorale

Ok cheers guys! I'll also read the mega-thread. Seems like a lot of people have this problem too! All this time sitting at a desk can't have helped!

dritar
Gehan Gonsalkorale said:

Ok cheers guys! I'll also read the mega-thread. Seems like a lot of people have this problem too! All this time sitting at a desk can't have helped!

I've said this once, but I'll repeat it. Think of yourself as Neo from the Matrix when he has recovered from the machine's pod. However instead high tech acupuncture you need Foundation.

Jon Douglas
dritar said:

I've said this once, but I'll repeat it. Think of yourself as Neo from the Matrix when he has recovered from the machine's pod. However instead high tech acupuncture you need Foundation.

Nice one!

 :D